Beteor shocks vs Sebac

cfh

There's a nice youtube video on rebuilding Sebac shocks. But i have several Beteor shocks (which replaced Sebac on say Speedway bikes around 1972) which need rebuilt. I thought it would be a the same procedure, but apparently not. Though the two shocks look pretty similar, they don't seem to come apart in the same way.

On Sebac shocks, just remove the bottom eyelet, slightly compress the shock, and a 11mm socket can completely disassemble the shock. On the Beteor, removing the bottom eyelet exposes a pin which goes through the center of the moving shaft, to hold the shock together. I can't see how to disassembly this design.

Any ideas? thanks!

shock1.jpg

shock2.jpg

cfh

I tried unscrewing the top eyelet with no success. I didn't want to go nuts with that approach without someone else chiming in on what they have done.

On Beteor shock used on Rupps, there's a plastic collar that unscrews into the bottom tube. that's how they come apart. But this version doesn't seem to have that. Was hoping someone had some experience with these...

cfh

I ended up taking a Matabo and cutting through the spring winding enough to remove some of the spring (the spring was junk anyway.) Then i could put the moving shaft in the vice, and try and unscrew the top eyelet. I used heat too, but no dice. Ended up snapping the moving shaft where it enters the top eyelet. Of course the four shocks i'm working with are quite rusty junk... was just hoping i could make something out of them. I have new springs (they are available and inexpensive), so was hoping to get these apart, sand blast the lower tube, paint or powder coat, and re-assembly with new spring. But i think these four i'm working with are too far gone (they are seized, which is a bad sign.)