Better Seat

Tom S

I am working on my second 6.5 conversion and was thinking about fabbing up a better seat as I am not crazy about the stocker. I was thinking about moving it back 2 inches and making it 2-3 inches wider at the rear. I was also thinking I want it to be about 2 inches taller at the base. I will probably make some new mounts with a piece of 1 inch square tube welded to the frame with a 3/4 plywood seat base on top of that. What have some of you other guys done as far as seats?

I had this gas tank and wanted to put it on my DB but it wouldnt fit with the stock seat. I ended up taking apart the seat and shortened the plastic base at the back to keep the mounting holes at the front and then shortened the foam at the front to keep the thick foam at the back. Then I carefully stapled it back up, and had a new seat for the price of some staples. I also had to make new mounts but that wasnt too hard. You can see the seat in my pic.

Tom S

Made three new seat bases this weekend. 6.5 x 8.5 by 18 out of some 3/4 plywood. I also welded some new seat mounting pieces on three bikes. Now off to get the foam and vinyl on them. I moved the mounts back to where the tail end of the seat splits the grab handle on the rear of the bike.

Tom

If your going to go to the trouble of making a new seat and welding you might as well make a suspension seat. I used a shock off my old mountain bike, make it adjustable so you can change the spring rate. If I get some time I'll snap some pics and post it in another thread. I kept the stock foam and cover, just made a 3/4" plywood base to mount the shock too.

One thing you need to keep in mind is the 6.5 conversion makes them wheelie kings, moving the seat back is going to make it much worse (depending on your gearing) The simple solution is to extend the wheel base. I extended mine about 8" :weld:

Jordon