Big balloon tire mini's

Sprocket86

Could someone post or list all of the "big balloon tire" mini bikes that were made in the USA or Canada?

What was the best handling and thought out model?

I really want another big tire mini bike again. Had a brief time with a Baja MB165 and really liked the big frame and tires as I'm 6 foot 5 lol.

capguncowboy

I just picked up a Heathkit Hilltopper. I haven't ridden it yet, but I'm 6'5 as well, and that bike is more than big enough to accommodate my long legs

capguncowboy

Pardon the mess, but here are three big-tire bikes side by side. Closest is a Super Bronc VT8, then Heathkit Hilltopper, then a Manco Custom (used to be a 3 wheeler).

They're all pretty big bikes and if you're a tall guy like me, you'll easily fit. All of them are projects too :laugh: if I ever get some time...

I haven't had the Hilltopper running yet. I just picked it up on Friday and I've been working overtime. Maybe this weekend? We'll see.

Last edited:
Haha...I see what you mean now lol. I'm pretty sure I understood what you were trying say but wasn't quite sure.

Those Tom Thumbs are a tiny machine!

Pardon the mess, but here are three big-tire bikes side by side. Closest is a Super Bronc VT8, then Heathkit Hilltopper, then a Manco Custom (used to be a 3 wheeler).

They're all pretty big bikes and if you're a tall guy like me, you'll easily fit. All of them are projects too :laugh: if I ever get some time...

I haven't had the Hilltopper running yet. I just picked it up on Friday and I've been working overtime. Maybe this weekend? We'll see.
Hey thanks for the comparison pics. I'm pretty sure I have my mind set on a Heald Inc product. How many different models did they have?

That'd be cool if you posted a vid of the Hilltopper running. The big mini's seem like they would be very fun to ride. I'm going to post a wanted ad asap!

I pulled the video off YouTube. There are probably videos of each of them. The Healds are the big boys. I would rather a VT 7 with the big back tire but a smaller tire in the front. Better for turning. The big front tires take a little getting used to. Just don't use s stock VT7 front tire. They are pretty square. Replace it with one with a rounded edge.

You just wanted to show off my super bronc.

I pulled the video off YouTube. There are probably videos of each of them. The Healds are the big boys. I would rather a VT 7 with the big back tire but a smaller tire in the front. Better for turning. The big front tires take a little getting used to. Just don't use s stock VT7 front tire. They are pretty square. Replace it with one with a rounded edge.
Thanks for the info and I'm kinda bummed that the big front tire Healds don't handle all that well. So I take it the big tire Super bronc's handle nothing like a MB165?

My big tire Manco bike took a while to get used to. You really have to lean to get it to turn. It's definitely not a good rider for offroad use.
I keep forgetting about the big tire Manco machines and again, it's a letdown that these bikes don't dominate the beaten path.

What terrain do you find works best for these big brutes?