BigCat by BigRob

I recently picked up a Manco Big Cat for $100 , it is beautiful from afar but far from beautiful lol
The good is that the original powersport 6 horse runs great and most of the parts are still intact.
It was repainted at least twice and the stock foot pegs had been relocated to the front down tubes , kind of like a chopper and basicly useless.
The jackshaft was butchered with a #420 sprocket welded to it and #420 chain running to the stock #40 rear sprocket , so it would bind and skip lol .
The seat cover is ripped and split and the tank and fenders have bee recoated with what appears to be bedliner.
Oh and it had a thumb throttle from a honda atc , probly where the chain and sprocket came from as well lol.

The beast the night I picked it up

The highway pegs lol

The nasty sprocket and worn out jackshaft

The bed liner coated fender

So I couldnt leave the poor beast to suffer , so a quick rebuild to is in order lol.

I picked up a 3 foot lenght of keyed shaft to rebuild the jack shaft and a # 40 14 tooth sprocket and hub.
I had a spare set of honda dirtbike foot pegs so I welded them back in place.
I had to repair the brake leaver anyway so I decided to relocate it to the righthand side and used an old honda shift lever.

The relocated brake lever and foot pegs

I havnt decided yet if I will repaint it the original lime green color or go with something funky lol

I picked up a new belt for the torque converter , I researched it but it is to short and will not disengage properly.( I dam near wrecked my freshly restored Kawi Kv75 by running into and knocking it off the kickstand lol)
The belt I have is the stock belt for the tav 30 and readily available so I think I may keep it and move the engine back closer to the jackshaft by 1/2 an inch to solve the problem.
I think I will try to build the new jackshaft tonight and put a chain on it to give it a test run before I make it pretty lol.
Rob

Stop making out like its in such bad shape. Its only 5min of work for and man
Of your skill:lol:
Not a big fan of lime green. I say go for something funky - Big Rob Red :thumbsup:

Man this thing is a beast it is like twice as wide long and heavy as my other bikes
I get tired just walking around it lol
I played.with the shaft last nite , it should work
I might go look for paint after work have been thinking maybe a purple and gold kind of look lol
Rob

I should rephrase that , I assembled the jack shaft lol

Thats awesome, the big beast is in the right hands now, it may have taken a few years of wandering but now its "home" :)
btw, I vote go funky!
I just powder coated my 60's Dixie mini with Granny Smith green micro flake and top coat of high gloss clear with pearl dust. super wicked in the sunlight!

Hey Buck , you may be right about the Pink lol
It is a BigCat so with a pink paint job I could call it a rare Manco Pink Panther BigCat lol
Rob

Hey Ron your right that 440 of Les's is an artic cat so its even from the feline family lol
and there is probly room in this frame lol

You're right about the belt, had same problem. The oem is Manco 5959, but I bought the 203590A which is the next size up. It works great. It will still sit in the back driver flush with the rim but is loose enough at the driver not to bind. When I give it WOT the belt climbs to the top of the rim on the driver. Feels quicker and faster.

Last edited:
I guess you guys know me better than I know myself lol
I had planned on just a quick cleanup and then ride the snot out of it

The stock carb is giving me trouble and its one of the sealed units with no adjustment , I had another from a 3.5 tec but it is causing me stress as well (see how high it will bounce off the concrete floor, kind of stress lol).
So I think it is going to get a clone or maybe that 440 artic cat lol (prob the clone lol)

Maybe some cargo racks,to make more like an totegoat.

What about a side car rig ? I do have a spare 22x11x8 wheel from the front of an old 3 wheeler.
I guess I will have to see what I have kicking around the shop lol
Rob

I installed a Briggs Intek 6hp in mine and had to raise the engine 3/16-1/4" for the rear oil fill to clear the jackshaft unit. I wonder if you will have the same issue with a clone?