Bird Engineering - Original 'Basement Find'

***************** SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD **********************

This is an all-original 'Bird Engineering' - 3hp Tecumseh powered classic.

It was a 'basement find' in that it was purchased from a man who had it stored in his basement for a number of years. He claimed that it only has a 'few miles' on it, as it was bought for his grandson and after the grandson rode it a few times, he didn't want the minibike.

Looking at it, I would say that it has had more than a few miles, but it's hard to tell as most of the appearance issues are mainly from sitting in the basement... moisture most likely or just simply the humidity has created surface rust on the wheels/frame. Plus, all of the dust! There is a lot of dust on it, in the attached photo - it was displayed in an indoor car show, in a 'shack' setting - as part of the decor, and the dust made it all the better!

I have cleaned the dust off of it since this photo was taken, and it truly is in decent shape. It deserves a full correct restoration, as all of the parts are there. I don't think the engine has been apart, it looks very good.

I have had it started. True to the man's word - all I did was put gas in it, and it started in a few pulls after sitting for who-knows-how-long, but he assured me that it did run - and it does! I am pretty sure the tires are original, as well. I think there are tubes in these, and they do leak down in a day or so.... new tubes would solve that.

It has a clutch on it, but the chain was missing when I bought it. I've started the engine and revved it, and it all sounds very good with no strange noises. The carburetor did leak, and needs a rebuild kit to solve that issue.

Other than that, you are looking at a very good start to having a really nice classic Bird minibike. This would be an easy project, and would be a very nice minibike when completed. The size of this thing is really small, and that makes it all the neater in my eyes.

I have wanted to restore this one myself, but I've had it for 2 years and nothing has happened - it's time that this one found a new home.

Please send me a private message here on the old-minibikes forum if you are interested, with an email if you would like me to send you better and more complete photos.

I'm asking $350, but would be open to reasonable offers.

I'm located in Columbus OH - 43235. I would be willing to drive to meet halfway, depending on the distance - within 100 miles at no extra charge.

This minibike is small enough that it could also be shipped - we would need to arrange some sort of shipping agreement to make that happen.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Better photos....

Sure ezdoesit - I should have posted better photos in the first place.

I will take some this evening and get them posted tonight.

Check back later, around 9:00pm - they should be here then.

-DaveC.

Maybe the one sears sold had different wheels but those certainly are not Bird wheels as I know them. Mine is an original but came with a briggs, some did depending on the distributor. Those are two piece wheels on the one puctured in the basement and mine are one piece with welded sprocket. The original chainguard and seat were missing from mine so I made em. The factory chainguard looks similar to mine only stamped and chrome, it attaches to a bracket off the engine plate and at the rear to the down tube. Yours certainly has a minibike specific tecumseh engine so that's a huge plus, the seat looks original as well as the correct fenders. Nice bike, good luck on your sale!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
The good, the bad, and the dirty .... a real dirty Bird...!

Instead of taking time to eat dinner, I should have taken some time and a bit of 'Simple Green', and cleaned this thing up.

But, no... I ate dinner....

The engine is caked on dirt/grease/grime. It looks bad, but underneath I think this is a good engine. Just like all of you guys, I would rather see something in this state, before anybody took time to clean it and mess with it, so that I know exactly what I'm dealing with. Overall, this is a very filthy engine and with about 2 hours of cleaning, it would look pretty darn good.

I focus on things like the bolt heads... to see if things have been taken apart. The head bolts and such on this one look good to me, I don't think it has been apart, but who really knows. I don't understand the white air filter cover, chances are the grandson who 'only put a few miles on it' lost the cover.

And, as you can see, it's had way more than a few miles on it. I don't know if the aluminum scrub brake pad is worn concave like that, or if they came that way to fit the tire curve better. But, the foot peg rubbers and brake pad rubber look good, not a lot of wear and tear on them.

All in all, it is a really good start for a nice restoration. It would be more sweat and tears manual labor cleaning/sanding/painting, than trying to find those all-too familiar ultra-rare classic minibike parts. There isn't much to this one, a very simple stripped-down no-frills minibike, and that is what it should be. I think I saw photos of a similar red one in the 'Bird' photos, here on the site..... it was a lot prettier, with a nice perfect-white engine.... but, this one could be just as nice, if someone put some time and a little money into it.

After looking close at this one, I am definitely open to offers. I'm asking $350, but like my friend Lew says ' There's 'asking', and then there's 'getting' !'

I'll check on questions around 10:00pm and again in the morning, after work. I'll definitely get back to you if you send a 'PM' my way.

Thanks again for looking!

-DaveC.

It's a runabout by sears I believe but built by Bird, the chainguard could be original but is a Manco piece. Sears may have sold it just like we see it here bit I'm no Bird expert. jimh would know for certain.:thumbsup:

It's a runabout by sears I believe but built by Bird, the chainguard could be original but is a Manco piece. Sears may have sold it just like we see it here bit I'm no Bird expert. jimh would know for certain.:thumbsup:
Wow ... Nice find :thumbsup: ... Not a Runabout ... Don't know what it is ... Here is my Runabout ... Only pic I have when I first got it ... Frame is just like your Wren SN ... Notice the back is completely different

JC Penney Bird

Thanks guys - I was thinking that the one of the photos in the 'Bird' photos of a JC Penney model looked similar to this one.

If there is no interest here on the board, I'll probably just keep this one. The more I looked at it taking the photos, the more I thought about keeping it.

The small size of it and the next-to-nothing weight appeal to me. I'm thinking about putting the Tecumseh on a shelf and squeezing something a little more stout in there, having some fun with it.

There is one small 'Bird' decal on the engine mount plate that would probably help to identify it, but it has been beat to death most likely by the missing chain coming off repeatedly, and the grandson's 'few miles' adventures!

Thanks again for the input. This is a great forum, an abundance of knowledge on here!

-DaveC.

******* sold *****************************

Thanks for everyone's interest that chimed in.

I managed to sell this one to myself.

I'll post photos of it in the 'Bird' thread when it is finished - In the process of doing this ad, and reading other threads, it just hit me that this thing really is an easy and fun project, so I should just do it.

That, and the old Briggs IC flathead I have will fit in the frame.... heh....

Thanks again. Sorry for not thinking this through BEFORE I posted this ad!

Seller's remorse.... even before I came close to selling it!

-DaveC.