Blinker flasher relay

I've got a VT-8 that I'm wiring. The bike had blinkers on it. I put in a 2 pin LED relay. I have this switch cluster, un the picture. The #2 wire is power to the blinkers. I wired the L side of the flasher to #2 and wired the B side to an on off switch that's connected to the battery. My headlight #6 and tail light power is also connected to this switch, so I can shut off all power. My problem is when I turn on the blinker it takes the tail light and headlight flash. Maybe I have the relay wired in wrong? Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Here is a pic of my great wiring diagram skills if that helps.

Attachments

It looks like 2 and 6 should be power (B+)

Where does #6 go now?
I think 6 should be between the B+ and the flasher. Flasher should be between B+ and 2.

The headlight and taillight both flash when the brinker is on. I thought it might be a short in the cluster, i could not find one. The taillight wiring is not connected to the cluster, only to the on/off switch and it does the same thing. I tried putting the power side of the relay straight to the battery (before the on/off switch) and the same thing happens. Maybe a bad relay?

Minimichael

Sounds like you've troubleshot it pretty good. I was wondering about quality, too. But maybe it's still just a matter of the end of the circuit you place the switch at? Like is the #2 wire at the beginning or end of the +/- run?

I'm currently trying to set up my blinkers with this relay and led switch and the order of the components became important - partly because I wanted the led to light only when ON but also because at one point I had it lit up and blinking both signals while in the OFF position. Other configs made the led not light at all, or stay lit all the time. I don't know if the tail light blinked in any of this. Tho I do know the horn didn't honk. And the headlight was not connected, so..

In my case, I did have to worry about jumping the additional led leads, and my set up is obviously different, but I found that:

B+/relay/light/switch/B-
...was no good.

And:
B+/switch/relay/light/B-
...was no good either.

Only B+/relay/switch/light/B-
worked correctly for me.

Attachments

Last edited:
Where is your ground for the headlight, tail light and blinkers? Do they share a ground?
What type battery? Are your battery cables heavy enough for the load?
The headlight has a ground wire. The blinkers and tail light are direct ground, no wires. I'm only using #18 guage wire from the battery and for the battery ground. Standard 12V battery that I use on my old 49 Harley trike that I built. The Harley flasher is set up the same way I've been trying to set up the VT.

Sounds like you've troubleshot it pretty good. I was wondering about quality, too. But maybe it's still just a matter of the end of the circuit you place the switch at? Like is the #2 wire at the beginning or end of the +/- run?

I'm currently trying to set up my blinkers with this relay and led switch and the order of the components became important - partly because I wanted the led to light only when ON but also because at one point I had it lit up and blinking both signals while in the OFF position. Other configs made the led not light at all, or stay lit all the time. I don't know if the tail light blinked in any of this. Tho I do know the horn didn't honk. And the headlight was not connected.

In my case, I did have to worry about jumping the additional led leads, and my set up is obviously different, but I found that:

B+/relay/light/switch/B-
...was no good.

And:
B+/switch/relay/light/B-
...was no good either.

Only B+/relay/switch/light/B-
worked correctly for me.
Maybe I need to try a 3 pin relay, the way that works for you is the same I tried.

The taillight power comes after the switch same as #2 wire for the blinker power.

The relay is wired from switch (B+) to relay B, #2 (power to blinkers) ties into L. It seems as the relay L is moving to the taillight power line for some reason and is taking over the power to the taillight, even though the only wires that are together are the B relay terminal and brake light power out of the switch.

The headlight has a ground wire. The blinkers and tail light are direct ground, no wires. I'm only using #18 guage wire from the battery and for the battery ground. Standard 12V battery that I use on my old 49 Harley trike that I built. The Harley flasher is set up the same way I've been trying to set up the VT.
Maybe try 10ga wire for battery cables? 18 is like speaker wire.

After more work, the headlight and taillight do dim a lot almost when the brinker is on. I did up the battery wire to 12ga that I had around, that helped.

Looks as my on/off switch wiring is too small of a guage for the wattage my blinkers are using 26w hallogens, I bypassed that and it helped with the dimming but still does it.

I could not find a good 1156 LED bulb to work in them without adding a resistor if I remember that correctly researching online.

Anyone have good suggestions for LED 1156 compatible bulbs? I'd like to keep the stop blinkers, but also not necessary if I can't find a good bulb replacement.