Bonanza Chopper

Now, on the forks, it appears that either the head tube bolt is stuck....or the head tube bolt is part of the head tube.

I need to get the forks removed from the frame......any help/suggestions would be good.

Cool looking bike.:thumbsup: I would soak the steering bolt with some good penetrant, like PB Blaster and give it a few days. There's a few things throwing me off a lil bit, looks like the motor plate and forks may have been changed at some time, and the steering neck area looks a little different than other Bonanza's I have seen? Plus it looks like a Ruttman/LIl Iindian front wheel, and an Azusa tri star on the back?
Just curious, where in WI did you find it? I would be willing to trade you the right wheels for your bike, provided the ones on it are not chipped or broken....
Either way, I like it:scooter:

I'd say the head tube is correct. So is the engine plate....CR400. Seat and sissy bar are correct. The upper section of the fork looks right, but the lower section has been added on to, it's too long. I think that is what makes the head tube look wrong.
Scrub brake was added on also. Should have Kidney Bean wheels.

Cool looking bike.:thumbsup: I would soak the steering bolt with some good penetrant, like PB Blaster and give it a few days. There's a few things throwing me off a lil bit, looks like the motor plate and forks may have been changed at some time, and the steering neck area looks a little different than other Bonanza's I have seen? Plus it looks like a Ruttman/LIl Iindian front wheel, and an Azusa tri star on the back?
Just curious, where in WI did you find it? I would be willing to trade you the right wheels for your bike, provided the ones on it are not chipped or broken....
Either way, I like it:scooter:

Mark G,

Thanks.

I got it in Darien,Wi (won on 'bay). Yeah, i did soaked the head tube bolt in PB, no luck. I will get some closer pics. It appears there is suppose to be 2 nuts & 2 lock washers on it, instead of the common bolt w/head.

The 4 blade rim is cracked & chip on the outter bead on one side really bad.
The 3 blade is good,just needs cleaning & polishing.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[quote;ScooterBoy] I'd say the head tube is correct. So is the engine plate....CR400. Seat and sissy bar are correct. The upper section of the fork looks right, but the lower section has been added on to, it's too long. I think that is what makes the head tube look wrong.
Scrub brake was added on also. Should have Kidney Bean wheels.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is just what i was thinking, it is way to long...it deosn't have the correct stance. Also, there is no bolts through the lower fork sections,normally there is 1 on each fork to hold the lower fork extension in the upper fork tube.

I have removed the home scrub brake & cleaned up that section of the frame.

Here's an update vid.....we installed an Animal just to see how it ran. This is our first Briggs Animal....i will tell ya, it has some power.
YouTube - SDC10595.AVI

I met this guy in Oneida today during my delivery, he has a Hodaka... but i am not for sure what engine code is correct???

Last edited:
check out the lower forks & spring set up....

Where do you think the lower fork cups & springs came off of??

will someone provide pics of the correct fork set up & length of forks from lower tree??

Frame changes

Yes, the frame did change. The one in this thread is the same as my original which came as a Scout CR400. The other Bonanza chopper frame has a different u-shaped motor plate with more slots because the frame was also used for the CR 500 that came with the Hodaka Ace 100 two stroke motorcycle motor. That frame also has the jack shaft mounts. Bonanzamini sells new forks and based on what I spent to re-chrome my forks, is not a bad
price. Here are pictures of both generation of frames, the 5" bendix style drum brake that was original, and the kidney bean wheels that were original. If you research pictures and info on this site, you can see pictures of virtually every part, find out where to get reproduction or OEM parts, sizes, etc. to do a "correct" restoration. I'm slowly restoring a second CR400 for my little boy, just like mine that I got for christmas in 1970...
View attachment 23198

View attachment 23200

View attachment 23201

View attachment 23202 price.

Beautiful forks

Awesome! Scooterboy, those look absolutely spot on! I suspect the triple tree plates are a heavier plate and the welding is much better than on the originals too! Is chrome plating at reasonable cost up there? I think I had to pay about $200 to get just my forks and lower tubes re-chromed and now I have a second set that need it. Are you going to produce any more CR400 reproduction forks? Can you make a set that is just the trees and tubes down that will work with handle bar clamps that can be used with some drag bar handles. Heck, for that matter, I think a reproduction frame with the custome forks I'm talking about would be really cool...then people will want reproduction fiberglass seats and the entire sissy bar and shock setup.... Mark S.

Hi, I'm new here so missed your pics. Do you still have them? I'd like to see.
I just got a CR400 from a guy in Downing WI. Has a 5 HP Briggs. Somebody cut the frame to make it fit. Needs full restoration.
I'll post a pic when I can figure out how!
Any info on this bike would be appreciated!

New here, missed your pics. Are they posted anywhere else? Just got a CR400 from a guy in Downing, WI. 5 hp briggs, but somebody cut the frame to make it fit. Needs completet restoration.

Way cool! Mine looks like junk.
Question: what motor fits the CR400? I have a 5hp Briggs that suck. I'd like to put a motor in that won't hit the frame. Any help appreciated!

BTW, still can't upload a picture!