Bonanza Disassembly Help

Here is the 1st of a series of noob questions.

* The bolts on my split rims are completely frozen with rust.
Ive soaked them for days in WD40 and they wont budge.
My next step it to drill them out, but is there any other way?
Im afraid of boogering up the rim holes if I drill em out.
Will heat be worth a try, or will it eff-up the rims.

* How do you remove the jackshaft and swingarm shaft?
It looks like they would just come out when the bearings are
pressed out. Just want to check before I start swinging
a large hammer.

Thanks in advance.

kbs8ball

your gonna need more than wd 40 thats for sure...try soaking em with some pb blaster.
the jackshaft and pivot shaft have snap rings on them that sit in a groove in the shaft.
remove snap rings..loosen sprockets..drive out shaft...HA!! easier said than done. good luck

I used a die grinder and ground off the heads of the bolts. Then used a punch to push the screws through. Make sure the hole head of the screw if ground off. I broke one of my wheels I missed a small piece of the head and it cracked the rim. And be careful that you dont grind in to the rim. Good luck.

Actually, you can drill throught the head of the screw until it pops off, then knock the remainder through with a thin punch.

After that you'll have to deal with getting the other part out of the other half of the wheel.

If you have no fabrication experience then that part is better left to a machine shop to prevent damaging 40 year old collectable wheels...

They are counter sunk into the wheel. You should have seen some of the hacked Bonanza wheels I've seen in the past. Really sad. Definately takes skill to get them apart sucessfully.

The last set I did I used the mig welder to weld a nub onto the broken off bolt, and used my Channel Lock battery pliers to attempt turning the bolt out. Every now and then one would come out nice, but most of the time the nub would break off. You just have to keep welding the nubs back on.