Briggs 5hp industrial rebuild/hop up questions.....many

I have so many questions regarding building up a Briggs flatty that im not sure where to start. I would love to get someone on the phone.....or even better is there anyone in CT that can teach me a thing or two about a rebuild?

here is my dilema.........the machine originally had a early 60's Tech H60 in it. The engine was rough and i did "restore" it. well i also have this Briggs flatty sitting on the shelf and i started to think.....what if i build this baby up a bit and swap it out for the tecumseh. i prefer the briggs over the techy anyway and aftermarket hop up parts seem to be more available for the briggs. im thinking with a rebuild and some add ons i can probably get more HP out of the briggs then the H60 anyways. so without further ado here are some of the many questions i have about building up this briggs abit.

1.exhaust..........my issue is that this is not a mini bike so im not sitting on top of the motor. In fact the motor is in front of me with the exhaust blowing at you. Does anyone know of a aftermarket header that kicks out to the side or front of the motor or maybe even straight up like a tractor exhaust?

2. If i decide to do a rebuild and get the cylinder bored out to 1 over stock and use a 1 over stock briggs piston and rings am i still ok to use the 3.875" ARC billet rod?

3. Im doing the rod so i can ditch the governor obviously for higher RPM's.
I do not intend to "race" this motor in fact its going in a vintage snowmachine. It will mostly be used for ice fishing and putting around the farm. That being said is there a way to build more lower end tourque or will that increase with HP increase? im still trying to learn all this.

4. "porting".............i took my exhaust off. It was bolted on. inside the port there are ridges or what i believe may be threads. is this what im trying to smooth out? the intake side seems pretty smooth but i do fell this rather large bump in the upper right side of the port. is this normal or does this get removed also?

5. i think im going to use a tilly H60 carb for starters. Does this carb need to be modified in anyway to work with a built up briggs? anything need to be drilled out to feed it more gas or can that be taken care of by simple adjustmants of the screws?

i have so many more questions but i will start with these. I read the sticky about mods and it makes sense but i just need some more clarification. never attempted to hop up a small engine before. I can fix them all day long but never got into performance mods. Anyone willing to let me bend there ear for a few minutes on the phone sometime soon? anyone know a good builder in CT? I prefer to try and do this work myself.

Look at this header,its pointing downward and might work for you.Its an RLV. No need to smooth out the threads in exhaust port just polish them and leave the bump on the intake port alone.just remove flashing and use no smoother than 80 grit. the rod in question will be fine and so will the carb you want to use...yes you will be able to adjust it.

Last edited:
that may work......but it might interfear with the clutch/belt guard. here is the machine(motor removed). its going to be a custom so that "hood" is gone and i something else will get built(to hammered to save). cant have the pipe coming straight back although it would add "heat" when riding in the winter......:thumbsup:

Look at this header,its pointing downward and might work for you.Its an RLV. No need to smooth out the threads in exhaust port just polish them and leave the bump on the intake port alone.just remove flashing and use no smoother than 80 grit. the rod in question will be fine and so will the carb you want to use...yes you will be able to adjust it.
dude i love that bike, what is it?

If your handy with a drill and jigsaw you can make a header flange then use some 1" conduit and bend it so makes a custom pipe and have it welded up.Try to keep the length no longer than 18"

yah saved this one from going to the scrap yard. It is a project for sure. Its something i tinker with here and there. Its torn down now and the body was blasted and is in por-15. got all new slides for the track, got all the chains free.
gotta get my butt in gear and get her going again. Thats what triggered this post. The powerplant...................

sled is a 1964 Fox Trac and it also runs salsbury clutches. old 500 series stuff.

Cool machine! Those threads in the exhaust port are for a threaded muffler. You can make a stack using threaded pipe with an elbo turned up with a nipple and a muffler from a tractor supply store or use a threaded muffler and get a pipe bent at a muffler shop for a stack. You can turn it out or have it come staight up with a flapper on it. Look on some of the garden tractor sites for ideas. The garden tractor pullers have some neat set ups.

i will check them out bama. thanks for the tips. you ever buy something.....you just couldnt pass on, get it, then wonder what the hell did i just do? well this is mine. paid way to much for it so i cant flip it, have to much invested into now. there is no turning back. I dug this grave......im diggin out. have alot of work into it, still got lots to go. not sure what the hell im going to do for skis yet. the original were toasted from rot. i dont have the equipmant to make some. having some made could be big bucks.:shrug: