Briggs 5hp just wont start

I had a old mini Briggs and Stratton 5 hp engine that I tore off a mini bike. Im not sure of the year of the engine but it dose not have points and has the more modern magnetron but the engine is still pretty old. The engine was run with no air filter but it wasn't run very much. I only took it out of the shed maybe once a month just to start it up and do a burn out or go up and down my drive way once. The engine after a while got noticably harder to start and got to the point where I had to spray starting fluid to get it to start. I decided to restore the mini bike so I took apart the whole engine and cleaned everything and sandblasted the block. The head had no scoring on the inside so I think there was no damage from running it without a air filter. I also got all new gaskets. I let the engine sit with only the internals in my basement for about a month because I put a 6.5 clone in that mini bike. Today I decided to upgrade my Manco Streaker to the 5hp Briggs so I started putting everything back together. Im not sure if I did this right but there were two wires on the coil one to the kill switch and the other Im guessing to the ground. I grounded the one wire to a bolt on the engine witch I scratched the paint off. I have the coil a business cards thickness from the fly wheel. Once I put everything back together and filled it with gas and oil I attempted to start it. It was really hard to pull the pull cord. My dad said the timing may be off but I dont think so. I took out the spark plug and poured a cap full of oil into the piston then pulled it a bunch of times. Its gotten easier to turn over but still a whole lot harder than my 6.5 honda clone and the 4hp robin that was originally on it. I have tried just about everything to get a spark. Do you guys have anything you could think of I could do to get a spark?:shrug::sad: I really want to get this mini bike working soon because my other one is it the process's of getting pit bike forks attached and I want to go riding with my friends.

old-timer

Scamming Member
Disconnect the two coil wires and see if you have spark. If you do, then you have the wires backwards. If not, you could have a bad coil. Is the flywheel in good shape? By that I mean make sure the magnets are tight and clean.

Magnetron ignition is pretty basic and as long as you have a good coil/good spark plug/ and set the gap properly, you should have spark.

Vic

I would just like to say WELCOME to OldMiniBikes and say we like pictures here.
If you could post some pictures with the shroud removed someone may be able to help.and also post the numbers stamped on the shroud they should be able to tell you the year of the engine your working with.:thumbsup:

And by the way where is Mudville? People around here tend to help more when they think you really care enough to fill out a profile.

Scott

Last edited:
Do you own a torque wrench? You may have over tightened the rod bolts. I speak from expire nice on this one:facepalm:. Also, is the coil facing the right way? It says which way to face it right on the coil. And maybe check to see if your flywheel key is sheared, if it is you'll need to buy a new briggs one. The briggs ones are better than the off brand.

It sounds like u may need another gasket or two for the side cover if its not the wires on the coil. I remember when i replaced mine i only used one gasket the first time and it was too thin. It made the crank grab on to the side cover and would not start. I got another two side cover gaskets and stacked them on top and it widened the gap allowing the crank to not touch the side cover. Problem fixed. If that doesnt fix it then its probably a sheared flywheel key. Its a good idea to use a torque wrench for the rod cap bolts. If they are not tightened right then it may fall apart when your engine is running.

I had a old mini Briggs and Stratton 5 hp engine that I tore off a mini bike. Im not sure of the year of the engine but it dose not have points and has the more modern magnetron but the engine is still pretty old. The engine was run with no air filter but it wasn't run very much. I only took it out of the shed maybe once a month just to start it up and do a burn out or go up and down my drive way once. The engine after a while got noticably harder to start and got to the point where I had to spray starting fluid to get it to start. I decided to restore the mini bike so I took apart the whole engine and cleaned everything and sandblasted the block. The head had no scoring on the inside so I think there was no damage from running it without a air filter. I also got all new gaskets. I let the engine sit with only the internals in my basement for about a month because I put a 6.5 clone in that mini bike. Today I decided to upgrade my Manco Streaker to the 5hp Briggs so I started putting everything back together. Im not sure if I did this right but there were two wires on the coil one to the kill switch and the other Im guessing to the ground. I grounded the one wire to a bolt on the engine witch I scratched the paint off. I have the coil a business cards thickness from the fly wheel. Once I put everything back together and filled it with gas and oil I attempted to start it. It was really hard to pull the pull cord. My dad said the timing may be off but I dont think so. I took out the spark plug and poured a cap full of oil into the piston then pulled it a bunch of times. Its gotten easier to turn over but still a whole lot harder than my 6.5 honda clone and the 4hp robin that was originally on it. I have tried just about everything to get a spark. Do you guys have anything you could think of I could do to get a spark?:shrug::sad: I really want to get this mini bike working soon because my other one is it the process's of getting pit bike forks attached and I want to go riding with my friends.
Did you get it running?

No I gave up on it and put the old engine back. I think it was the gaskets on the side cover though because I only put one and thought the other was a extra. :doah: I am going to try it when I build a go kart or something cool. Thanks for your help everyone! :laugh: