briggs electric start

i have a 8.5 briggs ohv model 120212-0523-b8 with a recoil starter and it is built and i mean BUILT and is hard to pull start with such high copmression i was wondering what flywheels would interchange (ie 7hp 9hp and so on) that are electric start ready my block has the mounting tabs for a starter and a charging stator but my fly wheel dosent have pre drilled holes to mount a ring gear.
it is on a mini chopper :scooter:and is a daily rider and it is getting pretty hard on the hand and wrist to pull start everyday before and after work.

Hello, and Welcome

I'll try to find it but im sure briggs makes the flywheel for that motor that has the ring gear built into it, try a local mower shop:thumbsup:

thinks if i could find a 6.5 or 7 or 7.5 it will work i just have to invest in a mini tach so i can keep an eye on the rpm's or if i could find a 9 it will work but will be a heavier flywheel and will take a lil more power to turn up:sadcrying4:

Last edited:
the heavier wheel would make it a little harder to spool up, Id try and stay with lighter, but I dont think it would kill it (just not help) What all have you done to the motor?

I dont think the WF/Animal wheel would fit on it, or that would be sweet

Do you know a place to get the mini tachs? im interested

flywheel

yea i dont want to go with a 9hp flywheel its to heavy a animal will fit but is way way to lite for a built 8.5.
it nothing speical bored .20 over:thumbsup:, shaved head .15:thumbsup:, custom cam:thumbsup: shaft from local crank and cam shaft company, ported and polished head and carb. custome intake and a k&n filter. billet rod and had crank turned and rod shaved to accept bearings.:bowdown: .
as far as the mini tachs there is a local guy here that can take a harley twin cyl. tach and change a few resistors and run it on a singel cyl.

I need a little tach like that,

nice little motor:thumbsup:

We run the 3.5hp on highly built (30 horsepower) briggs 5 horses, and the Animal cranks out somewhere in the neighborhood of 10, You would need to get the old style flywheel, as the new ones are for PVL ignition, Ive seen them for sale for around 20 dollars at Rieken's Racing, Your Complete Online Kart Shop

How high is the compression? and how stiff are the valve springs? that would matter for the flywheel being to light, I dont think ya gotta worry about it

not shure on the compression but valve springs are simi stiff lil not shure on what type of springs are on the engine because i hade the head work done by someone else and they reinstalled the head for me.
if your runnging a 3.5 on a built 5hp then i should be able to use a 6.5 or a 7 since they have the magnets for a stator and holes for a ring gear

Last edited:
flywheel update:doah

:doah:found out that a flywheel number 699488 is stock nonelectric start flywheel for a 6.5 and a 8.5 are the same and a electric start flywheel is number 699514.

flywheel update:doah:

Found out that a flywheel number 699488 is stock nonelectric start flywheel for a 6.5 and a 8.5 are the same and a electric start flywheel is number 699514.