Briggs oppossing twin in a mini??

Le Plat

There is one on the old brush truck at my new station(im a firefighter) and in a few years im sure it will go up for sale:thumbsup:. While i have little interest in the old truck, i want the big twin. 18 horse i think. Its big and heavy but doesnt appear to be too tall(only a few inches taller than a 5hp minus the air cleaner). Seems like it wouldnt be hard to mount on one(custom frame). long engine, but it really isnt tall. the air cleaner is on top of the engine, im sure that would be a problem but thats about all. seems like it would be nasty on a mini:scooter: A custom head, upgraded carb and a header:laugh:

just wondering if, when it does come up for sale(be a couple years) would it be worth picking up for cheap and making a mini for or not?? Anyone got one on a mini??:shrug:

Le Plat

thats a v instead of an opposing twin but i get ur point :laugh:

If it pops up for sale, ill have to try and grab it.

side note, everything i can find on these is v twins or vert shaft. is opposing twins like this rare??

Last edited:

jreid50

Thats thing rocks! It does sound like a little Harley mini fanatic...i had to turn up the volume a bit to hear the individual cylinders!

oldfatguy

you could make it work on a mini bike although it may turn out to be too powerful. That v twin on that chopper sounded great with the open pipes. You might want to consider building something bigger for your engine like a trike or a go kart. I would think that the opposed engine should sound just as good as a v twin

Le Plat

If i get it(its gonna be awhile. they need to replace that truck) it will have to be on a mini. The opposing twin isnt too high too. be a sweet drag bike but it would be alot of wieght to over come. but 18hp in a mini?? wonder what the torque would be?? alittle more work and u could be pushing 20 plus hp. I know some of the guys on here and pushing more, but its single cylinder. this is a twin :biggrin: