Briggs Vanguard Questions.

Does anybody out there know much about the Briggs Vanguard oiling system? I am trying to find out what options I have to use this thing on. Most people do not want me to cut up my model a Chassis for the frame rails to make a cart. So, I need to know if the oiling system will work with mounting a vertical on its side. I know that on the old engines it is not worth my time. But a complete 14 horse Vanguard that strikes my intrest. Or I could make a Trike out of it if I have to.

Kelly

Generally if the engine does not have a dry sump system it will not work horizontally. I'm not familiar with the engine but if it has a regular oil sump (you can tell by where you check the oil.), it will operate in a level or near level position only. Dry sump engines use an oil tank and employ a scavenger pump to return oil to the tank. This design was invented for air-planes because they fly at all angles including inverted. They use a 360
degree swinging pendulum oil pick-up tube. 2 of my motorcycles have a dry sump system.
My Harley and my klx400sr both have oil tanks and scavenger pumps.:wink: