Building a mini from scratch

Today I made a bracket to hold the brake caliper. It has slots to ajust its position in both directions. Next time I'll install the return spring and the cable. The disc will also be straigthened on a surface grinder.

To be continued :hammer:

You should consider engineering as a career.
I did, in fact!

But it was just not for me. I quickly realized that sitting behind a computer screen all day would drive me crazy.

I am now an industrial maintenance student and I couldn't be any happier. I am doing a little bit of everything (mechanical and electrical stuff, hydraulics, pneumatics, welding, machining, programming), which is what I enjoy the most.

Houston, we have a brake!

Well, almost. I still need to change the plastic brake lever with a metal one.

Somebody sent me a pm to ask for some pictures of my seat, so here they are:

Last edited:
I have a lot of new pics this time!

First, I plugged every unnecessary holes in the frame and cleaned all the welds.

Then, I applied a coat of Tremclad red oxide primer on everything. I changed my mind on the color. This mini just NEEDS to be red :smile: The secondary color will be beige. I think it will look great.

To be continued :hammer:

FINally it has a coat of paint!!! (even though its primer)
Yeah, its funny how these projects always seem to take forever to complete!

The frame and forks are now done. It will take couple of days to paint all the other parts because Tremclad paint takes about a million years to dry ( it's bombproof though). The color is not as white as it seems, probably because of the flash

Last edited:
Kind of takes me back to the younger years of mini bikes, bares a strong resemblance to some of those old military bikes or the early factory scooters, like the cushmans, looks great with color, good job and have fun!
dave

Oldsalt

Love that drive system...Have you tried it out .....I wanta know how it went. Also the throttle system is Cool. When you get time post some more sketches of a multi-speed belt system!