Calling all DB-30 engine swappers.

Looking for pics & advise on the design & construction of a new chain-guard.

Also interested in how most of you are adjusting & controlling the excess chain length?

Thanks
~JM~

you can remove links to get it close and then slide the motor to get it adjusted properly. if the chain is adjusted properly, you don't really need to have a tensioner.

I just used the factory chain guard, all it took was a a small bracket to mount it on one hole. Then, not seen in this picture, you will need another to hold it to the chain guard. I found this out the hard way when I took my bike through the trails behind the house and the clutch got the plastic guard fatigued from heat and ended up chewing a hole through it.

As for the chain length, I kept the tensioner. The factory design should have been up and down for adjustment, not back and forth. I might make a adjuster for it that works up and down, or on a swing axis like an alternator in a car, but till then, I just made a bracket that jacked it up higher and took a few lengths out of the chain.

doodlebugs :: IMG_2810Large.jpg picture by skeeveman - Photobucket

When you swap a flat head Briggs with the fuel tank in the standard position. There isn't any sliding of the engine fore & aft to adjust the chain.

As far as using the plastic section of the chain guard... Once you center the engine & install the clutch with the counter-shaft inboard. The front chain guard no longer lines up with the rear.

The adjustable chain tension roller on these bikes is pretty much a joke. A spring loaded roller like is commonly used on the full size dirtbikes would be an asset.

I hear ya there, on the plastic side of the chain guard not fitting with the clutch on the shaft "backwards". On the 4 swaps I've did they were were all using the clutch with the sprocket facing away from the engine. I really like it this way, as you can see in the pic I posted above it turned out real clean, but my buddy just bought a 6.5 from harbor today, and pepboys will have his DB30 in come next Wednesday. We plan on mounting the clutch sprocket inboard, to see the differences in riding with the motor more centered on the frame. We did speculate over the plastic clutch cover fitment though, and I think we can still make it work and look good. If not, it won't be hard to fab up something in place of it that looks factory.

Tom S

I just welded on a small bracket I fabbed up to the stub of the cut off fender support so I could keep the chain guard with the 6.5 and the Tav.

Tom