Can i use this engine.....

It doesn't work that way.
this is a good point so how dose it work then cause another dude on here said it would make 11 to 12 hp my dad said it would make 11 or 12 hp my freinds dad said it would make 11 or 12 horse power im confident it has 11 or 12 hp but since you are telling me diferent i would like to know how many horseys its realy puting out

Let's recap:

2.8 HP 97cc

6.5 HP 196cc

12 HP 396cc

By the time your through discussing this I am at the end of the drag strip waiting for you to start. Stop guessing and take it to a Dyno and get the real readings..

Jesse, Simmer down.. Today is not OUR day to offend or defend..

Put the darn thing in there and then tell us how it works. Look at other machines that have similar cc displacment. A Yamaha 125 AT1 had about 12-14 HP maybe? Yours does NOT...!

The piston is not much bigger than a goped, OK?? It might not be what you expected it to be............................................80 cc dirt bikes are for children....

TT out! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

hahaha well the thing is i am a children and i dont know much bout these 2 stroke dirt bike engines but i surely will let you know how it works cause we got the engine today guna weld it in in a litle bit im not trying to agravate jesse either i respest his knolege i would just like to know the true horse power of this thing and i know it a some 2.8 horse power lol and we dont have acses to a dyno due to our age:sadcrying4:

...we got the engine today guna weld it in in a litle bit ...
Be sure to post a pic or two during and after the installation, and let us know how it performs. Shifter karts are cool, and this is a good way to start.

...80 cc dirt bikes are for children....
Yeah, but have you ever seen what a talented/fearless kid can do on an 80cc MX bike? They'll fly just about as high and far as a grup on a 125. My kid raced a CR80 before moving up to 125s. That little bike was like a light switch. Nothing down low, but when you pinned it it would fly. He loved it at the track but hated it on the trail.

Jesse, I appreciate your patience. If I was in MI I'd offer to buy you a beer. :thumbsup:

oh i will make sure to post a pic after words and yea i think it will be cool to its guna be more like a dune buggy when were finished though lol were boxine the enitire thing in with sheet meatal
oh an also i defianaltly agree with that statement on the CR 80 my freind has a RM 85 and when its pined out its hauls major @$$ its a litle faster than my CRF 150 but thats just cause the 150 is a 4 stroke and only has a 5 speed but the RM dont have no balls befor 4 k rpm

Last edited:
I just brought home an '82 Honda MB5. 50cc, air-cooled, factory rated 7hp @ 9,000 rpm. The tach redlines at 10,500.
ok that thing dont even look like it has many preformance goodys on it so a 80 CC air coold racing dirt bike motor makes like 11 or 12 at round 9000 but spinn more

vette66_00

Call the Dealer they will tell you that your motor has 11-14 HP. All most all of the 80cc 2 stroke enignes on dirt bikes and quads put out that kinda HP. As you go up in CC the increase of HP but it doesn't. Equal the above statement its less while increasing the displacment.

TT these are dirt bike motors and are 2 stroke. Your reference was for 4 stroke and those are built for lawn mowers not intended for racing.

Last edited:
I remember the MB5 at Honda Del Rey.. 7 hp..

I’m pretty sure of my intentions. There are a few things that make this transition difficult. First off is a sprocket. Most 80cc 2 stroke motors have a different sprocket than most dune buggy’s and Go Kart’s. So, that would be a hurdle. Secondly, the power to weight ratio may be a little lean on this machine. Most Honda Odyssey’s had 600cc and were capable of 35-50 mph.

We’re not dealing with an experienced fabricator. I stand on the premise it may be a waste of time, money and effort. Motor mounting, oil and gas mixtures ect…However, if he does not try and possibly fail, he will not progress.

I do wish you good luck at 10,000 rpm on a vehicle that weighs 260 lbs as opposed to the RM 80s. 95-125 pounds. Also, hooking up a third pedal or lever for the clutch adds initiative. I just believe the motor was intended for a bike and not a heavier vehicle.

I doubt we will ever see completed pictures of this endeavor>? Please prove me wrong. It's been done before..!

Blessed Trails,

TT

One other thing came to mind. Is the expansion chamber going to stick out four feet from the rear or is it going to be cut and welded to a 90 degree angle??

Last edited:
hmm well im not a very experience fabricator i just got the hang of weldin beads on the mig welder but im really good at cuting metal down to difrent things but the chain fits on the carts sprokets and if a tejunksy over head vales could push this thing a 6 speed 2 stroker sure will and it also has that funky kawasiki expanion chamber on it so i dont know were its guna go and lol ill post pics a befor then afteer pic

hmm well im not a very experience fabricator i just got the hang of weldin beads on the mig welder but im really good at cuting metal down to difrent things but the chain fits on the carts sprokets and if a tejunksy over head vales could push this thing a 6 speed 2 stroker sure will and it also has that funky kawasiki expanion chamber on it so i dont know were its guna go and lol ill post pics a befor then afteer pic
:thumbsup:

oh TT if it is a waste of money its guna be exactly 11 dolars and a brokin air soft gun
And were not riging a clutch pedal neither its guna be a lever clutch bolted directly to the shifter

I have an update on this build weve managed to finish almost all the sheet metaling we pulld the motor apart and its got one of the rarest wisco pistons in it for that particualr motor its also got a super thin copper head gasket to up compression all in all its built to race we got the mount up an ready for the engine and also goten a brush gaurd were putin on an the flat black paint for it mixxed up

65ShelbyClone

I doubt the problem will be the 80cc engine's output, I think it will be cooling. There is going to be nearly zero directed airflow behind the seat.

You could always hold out for something like these. Then again, it has already been done.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekYjiY3EvpQ

Most Honda Odyssey’s had 600cc and were capable of 35-50 mph.
The biggest engine available in an Odyssey/Pilot was actually 400cc and even then, only for the last two years of production. Prior to that it was 350 for just one year and prior to that is was 250 for eight. They also have CVT transmissions like snowmobiles.

dude that would be awesome to have a shift kart. if the sprocket is small enough on the engine i would try to just hook the engine right up to the axle sprocket

that kart milo is talking about is also mine we work on it in my shop and can you believe i got that 87 80cc bick for $11 haha we will probably post pics of it soon.

that kart milo is talking about is also mine we work on it in my shop and can you believe i got that 87 80cc bick for $11 haha we will probably post pics of it soon.
yup his house is like my second home haha we work on all sorts of crap there lol11 bucks an a broke BB gunas what we paid for the motor and dirt bike well find a cam and post befor and after pics of it