Caper Fenders

Oldsalt

Pressed the bead and formed two pair of fenders today. The fenders supplied by Ben Hunt were dimentionally all over the place. Although all were 4 inches wide and 12 inches long some were more tightly radiused on the downward end on the rear fender. The 7-3/4 inch radius seemed to be what was always used but I've seen front fenders with the front end not radiused for several inches back. See attached pic of the radius templates. I bent these up without that extra tight radius some times used on the rear fender. Also some fenders [early] were of thinner aluminum [about .090 or so]; later were of .125. These are of the heavier material. The originals were 'beaded' using a machine called a Pull-Max. The upper die fitted went up and down and the the lower die had the groove. The parts were pushed through by hand. I use a press and dies to obtain the bead down the center in one shot. Some late lenders did not have the ends radiused. [This radius was done by hand using cutting dies in the Pull-Max]. Instead the corners were 'clipped' at 1 inch at 45 degrees on the corners using the shear. I included a pic of the fixture used to radius the parts, a plastic roller is used to prevent excessive marring and the adhesive plastic film further protects the aluminum. Talking to folks that know about Hunt Mfg. largely advise that many of the shop workers involved with the mini bike end of things [not the heavy Ag stuff] were notably high school kids. I have not deburred the edges. The two attachment bolt holes were positioned 5-1/2 inches from the end of the fender on all the fenders I've seen.......but, again, Bennie might have done anything at one time or another. DSCF8846.JPG DSCF8847.JPG