Cat questions.

B2259ACE-E444-4F2A-8A57-8D6BA621EA27.jpeg
Found this really cool vintage stretch of a cat Frame. It seems to have a disc brake wheel and weldments for a disc brake on the frame still. I’m trying to search pics and information on the setup but I’m really bad at search. Need help thanks in advance

45t

Looks like you have a 300x that is stretched to a drag bike. The jack shaft requires the wheel to be flipped to the other side for the wheels sprocket to line up with the jack shafts secondary sprocket. Flipping the wheel makes the disc brake obsolete because there is no sprocket for the brake to stop. There are a few options you can do. 1) Take the jack shaft off and flip the wheel back and install a disc brake 2) move the disc brake mount to the other side of the frame and put in the Kelsey Hayes 200m original disc brake setup. 3) just install a band brake setup on the clutch and leave the disc brake off.

2BA30415-9247-4FD5-9DCB-FCF1E9CCA97A.jpeg

8710D024-C0AC-4CEA-93D1-EDBCF6ADDEB7.jpeg

Looks like you have a 300x that is stretched to a drag bike. The jack shaft requires the wheel to be flipped to the other side for the wheels sprocket to line up with the jack shafts secondary sprocket. Flipping the wheel makes the disc brake obsolete because there is no sprocket for the brake to stop. There are a few options you can do. 1) Take the jack shaft off and flip the wheel back and install a disc brake 2) move the disc brake mount to the other side of the frame and put in the Kelsey Hayes 200m original disc brake setup. 3) just install a band brake setup on the clutch and leave the disc brake off.

View attachment 274908

View attachment 274910
Awesome bro. Thanks for all the information. So I’m planning to remove the Jack shaft and flip the wheel and restore the disc setup. Any idea where to source the caliper? If it’s no trouble I’m going to shoot a pic of the weldments on the frame if you could let me know how they look to you? Thanks again!

45t

It looks like your brake mount has had some work done to it. The welds are sloppy. It may have been added in or relocated at some point, and the additional mount located behind the axel on your bikes frame does not belong on the bike. I’ve attached a few pics from my bikes that show original locations for the disc brake mount on both sides of the frame (red 400x & black 400TS). The Kelsey Hayes 200m is a difficult set up to find. Someone here might have one they’ll part with or others here have modified aftermarket disc brakes to work. I’ve noticed The original disc brakes never work that well. They’ll slow a bike down, but I just don’t think they have good stopping power. I don’t run the disc brakes on my bikes. Instead, I’ve converted all my bikes to a clutch band brake setup.

E59EDE30-670F-4DB7-92D7-5435B8493C80.jpeg
ADA3CB3A-B5D4-4657-8EC8-0DF5E39B9871.jpeg

It looks like your brake mount has had some work done to it. The welds are sloppy. It may have been added in or relocated at some point, and the additional mount located behind the axel on your bikes frame does not belong on the bike. I’ve attached a few pics from my bikes that show original locations for the disc brake mount on both sides of the frame (red 400x & black 400TS). The Kelsey Hayes 200m is a difficult set up to find. Someone here might have one they’ll part with or others here have modified aftermarket disc brakes to work. I’ve noticed The original disc brakes never work that well. They’ll slow a bike down, but I just don’t think they have good stopping power. I don’t run the disc brakes on my bikes. Instead, I’ve converted all my bikes to a clutch band brake setup.

View attachment 274914
View attachment 274915
Thank you and I just missed it by few weeks

Attachments

I have some figuring to do. I’ll actually be running a torque converter so that kills clutch brake idea. I’ll probably fab a after market system somehow. Maybe a foot brake? Thanks for the help