CAT99 Manual/Literature

Hello all! I'm (still) working on my Rupp rebuild, which came with a Comet Cat99 torque converter. It's a unique setup in that the driver unit fits a 5/8" shaft. I haven't been able to find any reference to a Comet driver with a 5/8" bore, but I know the driven is a Cat99, so I figure it's all part of the same setup.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out if the driver is supposed to have a bronze bushing. There wasn't one on there when I got it, but there are some bronze-ish scuff marks on the unit where it looks like there once was a bronze bushing.

Trouble is, I don't think a 30-series bushing will work because they are all 3/4" bore. So before I buy a bunch of bushings to see what works, I'm curious if anyone has a parts list or other Comet literature from a Cat99. I've read a couple posts over the years about people who discovered Comet-related manuals, but there's nothing posted online about this obsolete unit.

Please let me know if you have any Cat99 documents or otherwise can assist with my quest for a bronze bushing.

Thanks!

Hello. I too have a CAT99 that was missing a driver bushing, so I purchased one. All good there.

As for the driven bronze bushing:

From watching videos online on the disassembly of Comet driven clutches, I assumed this bushing would spin like the driver bushing or come off easily. I assumed mine driven bushing was "stuck" on. I purchased a new Comet 203942A. Now I think this bushing needs to be pressed on or heated up for installation.

Any info about this CAT99 driven bushing? How to install?

Hello Phaeacian,

Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure about "spacers"? See picture of my original & damaged "driven bronze bushing" installed on my CAT99 driven clutch. I don't know what else to call it.

I have the original one removed and have a new one (Comet 203942A) on-hand ready to install. The new one is an exact match of the original.

It seems like I will need to put the shaft in the freezer overnight, then put the bearing in the oven (temperature?), then press/tap on with wood block?

Other ideas?

Thanks.
20200520_224327.jpg