Centrifugal Clutch maint.

ekih

I just got a Baja Dirt Bug 97cc for my 9yr old Granddaughter.
I have stripped it down to the frame to clean and fix any problems.
I removed the clutch and would like to know if I should use emery cloth on the friction surfaces to freshen them up?
There are shiny areas for sure, not looking to replace but get it working the best it can be for now.

Thanks
James

ekih

not the other friction pads, if that is what they would be called, on the centrifugal part.
I am surprised to find it is metal to metal and not some sort of clutch or brake material.

ekih

not at home right now, I will post when I get there later or tomorrow morn.

While I have your atten. I have taken apart the rewind pull cord assembly and can not get it to fit back so the spring engages properly. It pulls without rewinding back.
Any tricks?

By the way thanks for the quick response.

ekih

I attached 3 pictures of the clutch.
One picture of the pull cord spring side.
I did see the link that you sent. Nothing there about doing anything about it except oiling.

Hello ekih,

Concerning the clutch, only maintenance is to keep the clutch drum bushing lubed. If it goes dry, it will heat up, expand, squeal like a pig, and lockup.

I just drop some oil on the outside of the clutch on the retaining bolt/ washer. If you oil it while still hot after a ride, it will suck the oil into the clutch bushing and do a good job of lubing it. I use chain oil and oil the clutch/ chain at the same time. I drill a hole through the plastic clutch cover (position approx 1/2" diameter hole approx 1" above the center of the crank) so I can lub the clutch without having to remove the cover.

I wouldn't rough up the clutch shoes or inside of the clutch drum. The clutch is really too large for the 97cc engine, and engages to soon, so you don't want to promote that characteristic. I keep my 97cc clutches pretty greasy, they work best that way IMO.

If you search 97cc, doodlebug, etc you will see a lot of negative comments about the engine. IMO most of the problems are related to the clutch engagement: engine won't idle, engine rattles, engine won't run without choke on, engine won't idle without engaging the rear wheel, etc.

Install a black clutch spring and some if not all the problems will go away. :thumbsup:

ekih

back at you

Thanks chazdaddy
Just the info that I was looking for.
Just what is the black spring that you mention?
And where do I get it?
Thanks again for the info.
James

Last edited:
hotrodminibike has them and sponsors this website, so best placed to buy them IMO

Clutches,Chain,JS Parts

Make your clutch perform like a
more expensive race clutch!

Black Clutch Garter Spring Fits
Max -T style SS clutches.
Raises engagement RPM to 3100.
(Stock silver spring engages at 2200 rpm)

$7.95

ekih

If the engagement goes up to 3100 how does that affect the slow riding for a young girl?
I checked out the site and the spring is 7.95 but the shipping would be 40.00, I am looking around local to find the springs.
I live in the Vancouver area BC, Canada.

You mentioned that you keep your clutch greasy, is that literately.
The clutch on the bike I have is dry as a bone.

ekih

Thanks SertDog13

I did figure it out myself after a total of couple of hours.
Seems that when removing the unit the spring had bent a little bit not letting it catch back on the clip that holds the spring.
When I bent it just a little bit is slipped right on and worked.