Chain Clearence????

What would the general consensus be on the needed clearance for a #40 chain? I have to space the sprocket out on my build off bike since I am running a slightly wider tire. I don't have any issues with any of the up and down areas. It travels over and under the swing arm with an inch either way so that is all good. But what I am not familiar with, is if there is any side movement in the chain. I cant see any reason that it would have any side movement (unless it was worn out maybe...). I am looking for the voice of experience on this. I have 1/8'' clearance between the sidewall and the chain with the sprocket spaced out currently. I can move the sprocket outward maybe another 1/16'' if it is needed but that is about as far as I can take it. I would like to leave it where it is if that is a safe amount of clearance.

Thoughts?????

Thanks,

Doug

Your chain will not move very much at all, due to tension and fit. However, (and you asked for experiences) your tire flex might put it in contact with chain/sidewall. Depends on your tire, the weight of the bike, and the number of poundage in your roundage including the air variety.

My Gote has #40 or #41 chain, I forget. I just now went and measured from the chain to the dirty chain marks on the sidewall, and I am right at .025. Sorry.

I was riding a grandkid, he was on the front, I was on the back, and the tire was not fully inflated to my usual 30 PSI. I am cleaning it today in fact.

If it's a blackwall tire, I'd not worry about it. Not a show stopper.

If this will help (for comparison)--the sprocket to frame axle spacer of a Lil Indian (#35) is 1/4." I had a Manco T-bird with a #40 chain and it was about 1/8." As Dave observes above, if everything is running true (no wobble) and tensioned properly, you should have few, if any, issues. Do note that a #40 "Gold" or kart chain may be wider than regular #40 (it is with #35 and could not be used with my 2-speed clutch because of spacing per Jim Donovan).

Your chain will not move very much at all, due to tension and fit. However, (and you asked for experiences) your tire flex might put it in contact with chain/sidewall. Depends on your tire, the weight of the bike, and the number of poundage in your roundage including the air variety.

My Gote has #40 or #41 chain, I forget. I just now went and measured from the chain to the dirty chain marks on the sidewall, and I am right at .025. Sorry.

I was riding a grandkid, he was on the front, I was on the back, and the tire was not fully inflated to my usual 30 PSI. I am cleaning it today in fact.

If it's a blackwall tire, I'd not worry about it. Not a show stopper.
Dave, thanks for taking the time to measure your Gote and share the information. It gives me some hope that we are close. And tells me to pay attention to tire pressure...

If this will help (for comparison)--the sprocket to frame axle spacer of a Lil Indian (#35) is 1/4." I had a Manco T-bird with a #40 chain and it was about 1/8." As Dave observes above, if everything is running true (no wobble) and tensioned properly, you should have few, if any, issues. Do note that a #40 "Gold" or kart chain may be wider than regular #40 (it is with #35 and could not be used with my 2-speed clutch because of spacing per Jim Donovan).
And thank you for taking the time to measure your bikes. I hadn't given a thought to the fact that a better chain might be a heavier sized chain..... Call me Lamont...

I was fairly confident that there would not be any side movement if all things were as they should be. But having never been down this road I wanted to make sure.

Thanks for the feedback!

Doug