Chain problems

Just finished mounting an engine on to
a frame and started to put the chain on. I noticed that the chain was loose so I took a link off, after I took the link off it was too short. I messed with the tension for a bit and no matter what I do I can't get the chain to fit right.
I heard about half-link chain, but me being new to all of this I don't know if it will work or not.
I've been thinking about this for a while now and can't think of a solution at the moment, was wondering if yall had any ideas

The engine mounting plate should have SLOTTED mounting holes so that you can move the engine forward or back as needed to get the correct chain tension. W/O that and if you cannot move the rear wheel you are never going to get the chain tension correct.
Michael

Triley41395

Did that bike have one of those 87 or 90 cc motors on it originally? Did you have to drill the engine plate or were the holes original. It has a chain tensioner on it does it work at all?

Last edited:
Did that bike have one of those 87 or 90 cc motors on it originally? Did you have to drill the engine plate or were the holes original. It has a chain tensioner on it does it work at all?
I see the factory slotted holes in photo, looks like new holes were drilled....but it has a chain tensioner...that will take up all the slack??

I had to drill holes to mount the engine which might be part of the problem. The chain tensioner dose work but dosnt help at all.

Triley41395

You probably had the tensioner tight when you put the holes in it. If the tensioner were loose when you drilled the holes you would have about 1 1/2" of adjustment. Move the tensioner all the way forward and set the chain almost tight then adjust it back to take up the extra slack. You also don't want it to tight either. Tensioner is just like my DB 30s.

Attachments

panchothedog

Saw your post yesterday and didn't comment . Today took my grandkids to the desert to drive their modified off road karts,and we ran into a problem similar to what you describe. To save time and get everyone driving I installed a half link. NO PROBLEMS. And this was in a large ( 200 lb + )
2 seat kart with a 165 lb teenage driver and a pretty stout modified 212
predator putting out about 12 to 13 hp. I was initially worried about the link but after about a half hour of watching him drive I forgot about the darn thing and a good time was had by all.

Saw your post yesterday and didn't comment . Today took my grandkids to the desert to drive their modified off road karts,and we ran into a problem similar to what you describe. To save time and get everyone driving I installed a half link. NO PROBLEMS. And this was in a large ( 200 lb + )
2 seat kart with a 165 lb teenage driver and a pretty stout modified 212
predator putting out about 12 to 13 hp. I was initially worried about the link but after about a half hour of watching him drive I forgot about the darn thing and a good time was had by all.
Glad you got it sorted out. Half-links have saved my ass a few times with chain length.
Just be aware if your chain is brand new, chains can stretch over time so it might end up loose again. Just keep an eye on it