Cheap Speedometer for a Mini Bike

Oldsalt

The attached pic is the manual for a 15 buck K-Mart bicycle 'computer'. It's a BELL F20 that attaches to the bars. Its main funtion is a speedometer. There's a 'pick-up' attached to the forks and a tiny magnet attached to a spoke. The computer reads the revolutions of the wheel. As there are a lot of different bicycle wheel diameters the unit is capable of being programed to accomodate a wide range of diameters. So a code is put in the computer, by pressing buttons like it was a digital watch, to match the wheel.

It occured to me that a wheel with a much smaller diameter might work if two, rather than one, magnets were attached to the rim. With 9 possible bicycle wheel diameter codes it does appear to be fine for a couple of common mini bike tire sizes. The codes are the millimeters of circumference the various wheel diameters.

I measured several wheel diameters on mini bikes I own. Two tire sizes seem to be rather close to matching a bicycle tire code if two magnets are used to fool the computer.

A 410/350 X 6 tire is 12 inches in diameter. That's 37.7 inches in circumference. [Dia X 3.1416]. Multiplied by 25.4 [there are 25.4 mm in an inch] equals 957.6 millimeters. Two magnets means multiply by 2, so the final number is 1915 millimeters. The code for a 24" bicycle is 1916. That seems pretty close.

A 410/350 X 5 tire looks to have a diameter of about 10.5 inches. That's 33 inches circumference or 838 millimeters. Times 2 equals 1676 millimeters if two magnets are used. The closest code is for a 22 inch diameter bicycle wheel: 1759. Sounds like a lot of error? It's only about 6 percent. That is a whale of a lot closer that any speedometer on any of my motorycles except for one Harley.

O.K., I know that my stated mini bike tire diameters are not exact. Not only did I not make an effort to be exact when they were being measured but there are also a lot of other variables like tire wear and inflation pressure and the weight of the bike and rider. But if you want a speedo for your mini and wish to see if your tire diameter will, with two magnets, work with one of the available codes I am listing them below.

1596 1759 1888 1916 2045 2073 2124 2155 2237

You do your wheel measuring and the math.

OldMan

The attached pic is the manual for a 15 buck K-Mart bicycle 'computer'. It's a BELL F20 that attaches to the bars. Its main funtion is a speedometer. There's a 'pick-up' attached to the forks and a tiny magnet attached to a spoke. The computer reads the revolutions of the wheel. As there are a lot of different bicycle wheel diameters the unit is capable of being programed to accomodate a wide range of diameters. So a code is put in the computer, by pressing buttons like it was a digital watch, to match the wheel.

It occured to me that a wheel with a much smaller diameter might work if two, rather than one, magnets were attached to the rim. With 9 possible bicycle wheel diameter codes it does appear to be fine for a couple of common mini bike tire sizes. The codes are the millimeters of circumference the various wheel diameters.

I measured several wheel diameters on mini bikes I own. Two tire sizes seem to be rather close to matching a bicycle tire code if two magnets are used to fool the computer.

A 410/350 X 6 tire is 12 inches in diameter. That's 37.7 inches in circumference. [Dia X 3.1416]. Multiplied by 25.4 [there are 25.4 mm in an inch] equals 957.6 millimeters. Two magnets means multiply by 2, so the final number is 1915 millimeters. The code for a 24" bicycle is 1916. That seems pretty close.

A 410/350 X 5 tire looks to have a diameter of about 10.5 inches. That's 33 inches circumference or 838 millimeters. Times 2 equals 1676 millimeters if two magnets are used. The closest code is for a 22 inch diameter bicycle wheel: 1759. Sounds like a lot of error? It's only about 6 percent. That is a whale of a lot closer that any speedometer on any of my motorycles except for one Harley.

O.K., I know that my stated mini bike tire diameters are not exact. Not only did I not make an effort to be exact when they were being measured but there are also a lot of other variables like tire wear and inflation pressure and the weight of the bike and rider. But if you want a speedo for your mini and wish to see if your tire diameter will, with two magnets, work with one of the available codes I am listing them below.

1596 1759 1888 1916 2045 2073 2124 2155 2237

You do your wheel measuring and the math.
Hmmm.... let me think... if both the bicycle and mini bike are moving at the same speed of 480mm/sec.

With the computer set at 1916, each time the magnet passes the sensor on a 24" bike tire, the computer reasons you've traveled 1916mm... if that took you 4 seconds the computer calculates you are traveling at 479mm/second (1916/4), which matches your actual speed.

With the mini-bike moving at the same speed, if you have two magnets on a 12" minibike tire, each time the magnet passes the sensor, the computer again reasons you have traveled 1916mm, even though you have actually only gone 479mm (half the 958mm circumference of the 12" tire).

Since you are traveling at the same speed as the bicycle (480mm/sec) you'd cover that 479mm in 1 second, so the computer thinks you have gone 1916mm/sec. Which is four times your actual speed.

A single magnet on the 12" tire would register a speed twice your actual.

I think your math would work fine for two magnets on a larger tire using a smaller diameter code.

Last edited:
I had one on my pocketbike, anywhere over 40 mph on that small of a diameter rim will give you issues with the readings because the magnet is flying by the sensor too fast/too often.

Last edited:
I bought a digital speedo that you had to manually put in the size tire you had, there were different codes for mountain bikes and bmx bikes. I figured it out by entering half the size of one of the4 codes and it worker fine! I had a magnet on the rim and a wire on the fork. I also had the speed checked by a car next to me and it was on.