CHrome Plating

Depends on what you think "a fair price" is! Have you ever had any re-chroming done? If not, you are in for a rude awakening as far as costs go...
Michael

j57little

Hi Pat,

Thank you for the lead! I am somewhat familiar with Cadillac. By the way, if I didn't mention, I found a Roper. It is in bad, bad shape, lots of rust, but lots of good parts. It is the third of my restoration projects The Rupp Roadster is in progress. I want to make it as original as I can. The Scat Cat is hopeless for parts, so it will be my open class project with a modified Predator and some wild color (and no white wall tires!). The Roper goes back to the original theme. So I have plenty to keep me busy!

Jack

j57little

Thanks for the lead. The Eastwood products I've seen are very tempting, including their welding equipment. I've heard many say that if it is not a Lincoln or Miller welding system, don't buy it, but they are so expensive. And everyone says the Harbor Freight welding systems are pretty much worthless, so I am hoping the Eastwood is somewhere in between!

j57little

I used to think "fair" and "practically free" were the same things...until I started seeing what all those Harley guys pay to chrome out their bikes. The sticker shock is very real I assure you! The big question is prep work. I have some really rough 12-inch wire wheels that need to be re-plated. I suspect I'll have to remove all the spokes, sandblast, smooth and send the rims hoping a plater will take them. And no doubt, the cost will be very high. Then I get to re-spoke with new spokes...it never ends. Anyone have any 12-inch Rupp wheels in decent shape!!!!??????

Thanks!
Jack

Glad you got your bikes, now is the fun part. Scat Cat will be a good track/beater bike. The other two will be nice projects, just gotta be patient and keep searching for your parts. They will show up eventually. They always do! building a daily rider doesn't cost much, but restoring can.

I just build these little bikes to keep me busy and out in the garage and love every minute of it.

Pat

Thanks for the lead. The Eastwood products I've seen are very tempting, including their welding equipment. I've heard many say that if it is not a Lincoln or Miller welding system, don't buy it, but they are so expensive. And everyone says the Harbor Freight welding systems are pretty much worthless, so I am hoping the Eastwood is somewhere in between!
I have an Eastwood welder and I love it.

Biffmini

Glad you got your bikes, now is the fun part. Scat Cat will be a good track/beater bike. The other two will be nice projects, just gotta be patient and keep searching for your parts. They will show up eventually. They always do! building a daily rider doesn't cost much, but restoring can.

I just build these little bikes to keep me busy and out in the garage and love every minute of it.

Pat
I'm with you on that note!!!