Chrome Plating

No No I think you misunderstood my point. Not the plating shops shipping south of the boarder,,the people who live in these areas benefit by taking their parts across the boarder. At least when part of my family lived in Arizona it was happening...maybe it's changed in the last 3-4 yrs.
Yes sir, I did understood your post. However those of us in the hot rods/boats/bikes hobbies have not seen this, or used shops who do this, and the only time we hear about it is on the internet where people complain about border state shops doing this. I am sure it occurs, and is legal, but as I said, no one involved with serious restorations is even aware of who exactly "does" do it.

So please, if you, or anyone else actually KNOWS where we in AZ and SoCal can send our chrome to get plated by six peso and hour Mexicans, LET US KNOW! Poor people like me with cars worth less than $30K would benefit not having to stand in line behind guys whose chrome bill is more than our cars are worth. I have two bumpers I'd like to get done. :thumbsup:

Who'd have thought a 1967 Dodge R/T would make such a great two vehicle for a fishing boat? :scared:

Question on plating. On machined parts like spindles and such, does the plating build up enough to cause clearance problems? What about bolt threads and tapped holes? Can they "mask off" areas not to be plated?

Question on plating. On machined parts like spindles and such, does the plating build up enough to cause clearance problems? What about bolt threads and tapped holes? Can they "mask off" areas not to be plated?
Yes, plating interferes with machined surfaces. Hard tape lines do not work, as the plating will flake. They will omit areas of chroming if you request it, but plan for some light machining, such as bearing surfaces on wheels.

Don't blow your cash on getting common hardware chromed. The Bolt Depot sells some decent quality fasteners in chrome. You will still need to run them through a die so you don't gall the threads upon insertion.

Don't sweat the threaded holes. It's best to leave them alone and let the chrome guys go right over it. As above, taping, or inserting plugs will cause flaking later on. Instead, plan to tap the threads when you get the piece back from the plater.