Chrome shop?

Hello guys,

I need a new chrome shop since mine can't plate the Rupp 6" wheel halves. It is the chrome ring in the photo below that I need done. Apparently these are difficult to do? I remember a couple of names being tossed out on another thread but I can't seem to find it. I remember one in Kentucky being recommended as well. Any suggestions?

Rupp chrome ring.jpg

Email Electroplating of El Paso send pics and measurements with a description of what you want and they will email you a quote. Once you send them the part they call and verify quote..... I've used them and plan on using them again. I ask for chrome not show chrome so the price is reasonable I feel.

I am prepared for the shipping charges. Part of doing business. I also found the other shop I was thinking of. David Wulf recommended them - Knoxville Custom Chrome. Close to KY! :rolleyes: I will reach out to both of these places and see what they say. Thanks for all of the help!

I'am pretty sure Knox custom chrome can't do the rim halfs , I had taken in Powell rims and they said they couldn't do them . It was something about getting the chrome to go into the rim . I didn't understand the chrome talk but they couldn't do it . But they do the best work other wise on plating .

The experienced shops don't want to do any small wheels. The reason is that they cant get inside with their machines to buff out the copper and chrome between applications. This makes for peeling, and discoloration. The shop that does it, ends up having their name assigned to something that looks bad.

If you develop a relationship with a shop, you can get them to chrome these wheels, but you have to hold them harmless. Really depends on the shop, but that is the reason why.

Is Browns still around? They are/were based out of Paducah, KY and did high end Harley stuff for years. (I doubt they'd do small wheels either)

AIH Chrome in DuBuque, Iowa…..
I had some major chrome and bumper work done there some years ago for '49 Willys Jeepster. The owner gave
me a tour. Not your average chrome shop. Clean, bright, sanitary! And, at the time were
contracted to do all the work for Victory Motorcycles….
Great work, but you pay for it.

The experienced shops don't want to do any small wheels. The reason is that they cant get inside with their machines to buff out the copper and chrome between applications. This makes for peeling, and discoloration. The shop that does it, ends up having their name assigned to something that looks bad.

If you develop a relationship with a shop, you can get them to chrome these wheels, but you have to hold them harmless. Really depends on the shop, but that is the reason why.

Is Browns still around? They are/were based out of Paducah, KY and did high end Harley stuff for years. (I doubt they'd do small wheels either)
That seems to be the problem that I am running into. The place I use does all of the custom work for Donnie Smith, the guy that builds all of the custom motorcycles. I believe that he was also the guy behind the Victory re-design as well. However, they want no part in doing these rims. The last set I had done we done at a chrome shop in WI. I had a bad experience with them but I have to say that the rims they did turned out great. Not sure if they are even around anymore.

I'am pretty sure Knox custom chrome can't do the rim halfs , I had taken in Powell rims and they said they couldn't do them . It was something about getting the chrome to go into the rim . I didn't understand the chrome talk but they couldn't do it . But they do the best work other wise on plating .
Thanks for the reply David!