chrysler powerbee 82015

So I have this engine and I have been tinkering with it. It has a HL189A tillotson carb. Allegedly this engine is a 6.4 hp off of a 69 snopony. Does anybody know anything about these motors? I have a carb rebuild kit coming in the mail. Are these Carbs gravity fed?

Attachments

The Tillotson is a pump carburetor. It operates on all axis. Fuel is metered via spring at 10 PSI. Do not waste money rebuilding it. It is a tiny carburetor, and barely adequate for that engine. I base this on the recent build I did of a 580 with that carburetor and the advice of a guy who's been building and racing these engines since the sixties. My Tilly 189 is currently in a box of junk I will deal with later. Too bad I'd already rebuilt it.

Unless you are going to build the engine, then sell it on ebay, so the next guy can replace the carburetor. If you're going to use the engine, I am very happy with the clone version of a larger one. Way better idle, way more smooth, way more power.

Here is a link to it. Vince is a great guy to deal with. You will have to modify a choke system, but it was not difficult.

the WB 820s are great engines...... carb rebuild is easy get a kit for a tilly HL.....90% of the time its the pumper diaphragm and dirty needle new carbs can be found from EC dist ....if you want more power Tim @ catkartracing has a nice replacement carb he also has parts and maxtorque clutches also vince at californiakarters sells a china copy and WB mounts and mufflers.....a lot of WB info on the VKA or VKCA web sites

Speedway, do as Dave recommends, put a bigger better carburetor on the engine, the kart version had a Tillotson HL232, 3/4 inch venture, 1 inch throttle bore, the 82015 has a .125 head gasket, the kart version has a .032 head gasket, if you make those changes you will have 10 HP @ 8000 rpm. Put a little bigger carburetor like an HL231E, 7/8 inch venture, 1 inch throttle bore is even better, it has a choke.
The very first 820's had the Tillotson HL134, same size as the 232 which is no longer made, the HL306B would replace the 232, it has a choke.
All the 820's are basically the same, different hp ratings are done with carburetor size, head gasket thickness and ignition timing.

Addicted 2 Minis

If it were mine, I would buy a new gasket set and take the time to get rid of all that Permatex. 2 stokes have small oil and air passages that can get plugged up with the little bits that fall off inside the engine, if you can see that much on the outside, there's that much or more inside. The point of a gasket is to seal an imperfect surface, you shouldn't need much more than the spray type on a gasket anyhow. Also, 2 stroke fuel turns that Permatex into slimy snot after a while, not something you want gumming up your reeds and bearings.