cleaning minibike?

Riley

hey guys i just did alot of offroading and some mudding, i was wondering if it is fine to clean my bike with a hose? like i bbought a pressure sprayer for my hose, is it fine to get the enigne wet?

Just make sure not to get water in the carb and try not to get any in the header or muffler, and lube the chain afterwards with WD40 to rid it of any water! Just like washing a car engine, certain things you dont want wet!:thumbsup:

I always cring at this thought, but like SN said, mind your p's and q's. and it might be a good idea to have a compressor handy to blow off the excess water after you're done, to get it dry quicker and give the water less time to seep in to little crevices.

I like both responses... I wrap everything that I dont want to get wet with aluminum foil (learned this trick from a pro car detailer). Then I use a pressure cleaner to remove all the years of built up gunk. A blow off gun from my compressor to get off the excess water, and done!

But if its just after a day of riding, an nice fire hose nozzle on the end of the hose works well. Just dont forget the foil.

I like the foil idea!:thumbsup: I never thought of that.
It works!

I watch my lil bro clean the engine of an '03 Malibu he had... Let just say it didnt start right up when he was done, lol!

Ive used it on my Ram plenty of times with no issues. And an automobile engine is more elaborate then these seat rumblers were riding around with

There are some realy good rust inhibittors out there.

I'm kind of fond of ACF 50 as a use once a year sort of things to get into all those places and displace moister so you don't need to worry about rust.

Washing is fine turn the hose on it and get it clean just don't spray water into the air cleaner. There are some things to be concerned about however like the clutch and exposed parts of the crank that may rust. This comes back to the rust inhgibitor again though and I spray things down fairly well with the ACF 50 so I don't worry about it much.

When done dry the bike, starting the engine is not a bad idea to warm it up and drive off any moister. If you feel its needed you can use something like WD40 to coat things like you exhaust

Things to consider:
Bearings on these bikes are not very good quality and water and dirt will get in there. Expect to replace wheel and jack shaft bearings at least once a year in very wet or muddy conditions.

hey guys i just did alot of offroading and some mudding, i was wondering if it is fine to clean my bike with a hose? like i bbought a pressure sprayer for my hose, is it fine to get the enigne wet?
I have washed mini bikes at the car wash with high pressure and never had a problem ,forget the the wrapping with foil ,it is not needed,just give a few pulls on the rope and she will start ,then let it run ,the engine heat will dry it out in no time.:scooter:

Ball joint your neglecting a few important points.
The presure washer gets everything wet. The possibility of rust setting into the crankshaft behind the flywheel and into the key means that strip down and service can be turned into a living hell...

Thats why I sugested the open gear lube/rope grease from Esso. That stuff is more like roofing tar than lubricant when it dries but it will stop the rust in its tracks.

The less you beat on flywheel ( even using safe and proper methods ) the better. Chinese iron, unpredictable failure when abused even in mild and governed engines.

It may be a good idea to remove the chain first. I washed my bike then had to spray the chain. I think it's best to remove parts first.....:rolleyes:

TT :laugh:

Mud, dirt... yeah... warm soapy water.

For grease, slung chain oil, bugs, tar, sap, bird crap, old warning sticker glue, etc. I find WD-40 works great on metal.
Smells good too! :thumbsup:

:drinkup:

Not one of you I suspect looked up ACF-50

Trust me on this you will stop rust in its tracks for years between aplications and nothing corrodes and freezes up.

WD40 is a very expensive way to clean things. Buy some mineral spirits and add a little oil to it. This will clean grease and tar off for much less money

Since mud and bugs were not realy discussed here is another tip.
Spray on furnature polish.....
Makes things slide off when you hose the bike down.

Since mud and bugs were not realy discussed here is another tip.
Spray on furnature polish.....
Yep. Pledge. Works great on plastics too. KLR guys love it on their old thumpers... helps restore faded plastics and makes cleaning a breeze.

Lemon scented is a bonus!:thumbsup:

:drinkup:

dirty enuff?

well ive decided to put my db and clone engine to the test and see what they are made of. i ride it hard pretty much daily on all different terrain, weather etc...
only doing basic matinence change oil, brake fluid keep things tight and lubed...

it rained hard the last 2 days and on my way home i found a nice mud pit or clay pit, it was so sticky it was getting everywhere a chunk even got stuck under the throttle arm and held it wide open. mud was getting wedged everywhere between sprocket and tire jamming up in the rear fender it was a lil sketchy but alot of fun.

i think it might be time for a wash:eek:hmy:

i need some knobby tires....

well ive decided to put my db and clone engine to the test and see what they are made of. i ride it hard pretty much daily on all different terrain, weather etc...
only doing basic matinence change oil, brake fluid keep things tight and lubed...

it rained hard the last 2 days and on my way home i found a nice mud pit or clay pit, it was so sticky it was getting everywhere a chunk even got stuck under the throttle arm and held it wide open. mud was getting wedged everywhere between sprocket and tire jamming up in the rear fender it was a lil sketchy but alot of fun.

i think it might be time for a wash:eek:hmy:

i need some knobby tires....
That looks like it was funnnnnnnnnnnnnn:thumbsup:

good ol soap and water and a hose and a car wash brush is what i use. One of my bikes has a honda engine and that wont start until it dries out but i never had a problem with briggs or tecs. Theres no reason to worry about the chain and clutch geting wet as long as you dry it somehow. with air or sun or just ride it a bit.