Clone not getting gas !

Well guys I bought a harbor freight clone, and of course with my luck it has a problem. So here it goes, I started the engine for the first time last night and it ran great, the second time it would not run for more than a minute and needed choke to start. Today I tried again same thing, so I opened the carb and everthing looked good. I narrowed down the problem to a faulty gas on/off switch. How would I go about fixing the switch ? I ordered the engine online so I don't even know if I can send it back or not ? Any insight would be much appreciated.

I already tried that thinking it might help, but the actual petcock switch is not working right. The petcock bowl is not getting gas whether the switch is on or off.

i had the same problem with my harber freight 6.5 clone,i cut about an1/8 inch out of the the little spring around the needle valve that hooks to the carb float.thus letting the needle open a little farther thus getting a little more gas to the bowl.worked for me.:shrug:

C9H13NO3

I reccomend just taking the carb apart and cleaning it really thoroughly. Ise some carb cleaner, comressed air, and little peices of wire, like the twist tie off of a bread bag, and just clean out everything you can get to. When I cleaned my carb I found metal shavings and excess gasket material by the bowl, these carbs will run ok if you clean them, but it is still better to go with a more adjustable carb without fixed jets.good luck!:thumbsup:

Get carb cleaner unhook the gasline from carb take the float bowl off then spray through carb where you took the line off and the cleaner should come out the bottom of carb if not adjust the spring on the float

Thanks for the advice guys, but nothing seemed to work. I took the carb off and sprayed it down with cleaner, and nothing. The problem seemed to be a faulty fuel petcock, it just wasn't letting any gas get through to the carb. I emailed Harbor Freight the other day, and they told me to send it back for a new one. :thumbsup: