Coleman B200R engine swap - Honda GX390

I'm a beginner to minibikes and generally have limited mechanical knowledge of engines (but youtube and google are a great resource as well as this site and i learn more every day). I was thinking in the future to do an engine swap on my Coleman B200R (or even an RT100, although its probably not big enough to fit that engine, lol) for a Honda GX390?

Im aware that clones exist for substantially less money however Honda engines are reliable and im looking to maybe make it a street legal bike in the future, hopefully making it last for a long time, also a fun side project to learn some more about engines and bikes in general.

I'm 150-160 pounds and hoping i can comfortably get my bike to 50mph without any real strain on the engine. Id be going back and forth to university about 20 miles there and 20 back, but not every day. I understand what gear ratios are, torque converters to an extent, jackshafts to an extent, just basic things. (Not too concerned with torque so long as i can take off in a reasonable amount of time at a red light, lol.)

So what are your guys' opinions on this? money isnt really a problem. Could i get this thing registered in the future (in Pennsylvania, maybe using loophole in neighboring state?) before i commit to a project like this? Anything else I should know?

Thank you

nightgrider

If money isn't an issue, you are willing to get it registered, you want to run 50 mph, and commute 40 miles round trip. You'd be better off with a small motorcycle, not a mini bike. To buy and build what you are describing would be about the same cost roughly as a used small motorcycle, but the motorcycle would be much better suited for commuting. Not here to burst anyone's bubble, but it is just the reality of the situation. It is usually not as easy to register a mini bike as you think. Also if you do, they usually have to fall in to a moped classification, less than 50cc and 30 mph or less top speed, all legal lighting (headlamp, brake, turn signals), and a horn. This is all depending on your states requirements. I did just notice Michigan must have recently bumped the cc requirement from less than 50cc to under 100cc. Also most states require minimum insurance on mopeds these days as well. Looks like Michigan also requires a moped license. I'm just using MI as an example, You'll have to check your local laws and requirements.

Last edited:
If money isn't an issue, you are willing to get it registered, you want to run 50 mph, and commute 40 miles round trip. You'd be better off with a small motorcycle, not a mini bike. To buy and build what you are describing would be about the same cost roughly as a used small motorcycle, but the motorcycle would be much better suited for commuting. Not here to burst anyone's bubble, but it is just the reality of the situation. It is usually not as easy to register a mini bike as you think. Also if you do, they usually have to fall in to a moped classification, less than 50cc and 30 mph or less top speed, all legal lighting (headlamp, brake, turn signals), and a horn. This is all depending on your states requirements. I did just notice Michigan must have recently bumped the cc requirement from less than 50cc to under 100cc. Also most states require minimum insurance on mopeds these days as well. Looks like Michigan also requires a moped license. I'm just using MI as an example, You'll have to check your local laws and requirements.
thank you so much for this info. I love mini bikes and their comedic aspect but I would be fine with a small motorcycle, like a Honda GROM. I impulse bought 2 minibikes for $1400 for my girlfriend and I. they are fun and all to ride around the block and the township, but I guess I got my hopes up too high for being able to go wherever I wanted with them - lol.

If I were to get a Honda motorcycle, per say, where does that leave my poor minibikes!?

nightgrider

thank you so much for this info. I love mini bikes and their comedic aspect but I would be fine with a small motorcycle, like a Honda GROM. I impulse bought 2 minibikes for $1400 for my girlfriend and I. they are fun and all to ride around the block and the township, but I guess I got my hopes up too high for being able to go wherever I wanted with them - lol.

If I were to get a Honda motorcycle, per say, where does that leave my poor minibikes!?
You are welcome. I'd keep the mini bike for off road use. Like @Mr. Pink said. Even if you did get it registered and street legal. You would probably get stopped by the cops a lot with questions. Mini bikes on the street are just always associated with being a hooligan. Even if you aren't acting as one. But it can still be modified and played with as desired for off road.

Mini bike is not a vehicle that can be registered for road use. You would need to swap everything except the seat and the hand grips.
Get a motorcycle and keep it out of the dirt. Save the mini bikes for exploring the woods around your town.

DaddyJohn

I'm a beginner to minibikes and generally have limited mechanical knowledge of engines (but youtube and google are a great resource as well as this site and i learn more every day). I was thinking in the future to do an engine swap on my Coleman B200R (or even an RT100, although it’s probably not big enough to fit that engine, lol) for a Honda GX390?
Thank you
Same as GX390 and Coleman

Same as GX390 and Coleman
I took a look at this video and he didn't lose me anywhere, but if I don't have all of these fancy tools to CNC metal or weld, are there places online that sell engine spacers? I could sawzall a jackshaft off but putting it back on is the tricky part in the desired location.

How would you go about it? THanks

DaddyJohn

I took a look at this video and he didn't lose me anywhere, but if I don't have all of these fancy tools to CNC metal or weld, are there places online that sell engine spacers? I could sawzall a jackshaft off but putting it back on is the tricky part in the desired location.

How would you go about it? THanks
Mostly demonstrates it’s not a straight forward or easy swap.

panchothedog

In your very 1st post you admit that you have li!tied mechanical knowledge.
While a build like this is not extremely complicated, it would require a decent amount of mechanical skill. Have fun with your bikes and your girl friend. Over a period of time, just doing the necessary maintenance and up keep on the bikes, you will begin to acquire some of that mechanical knowledge.

In your very 1st post you admit that you have li!tied mechanical knowledge.
While a build like this is not extremely complicated, it would require a decent amount of mechanical skill. Have fun with your bikes and your girl friend. Over a period of time, just doing the necessary maintenance and up keep on the bikes, you will begin to acquire some of that mechanical knowledge.
thank you. And you're right. im ahead of myself already. besides oil changes, air filter cleanings, what are some things you suggest I do to maintain the engine? I let the bike run until the fuel valve is empty as to not gum up the carb too

Did you buy it new? Did it come with a little book?
Yes. I have the manuals. It wants an oil change every 10 hours of riding time! I used purely synthetic oil and the same one in themanual... this seems a little outrageous considering I don't push the bikes very hard and they are both governed... what to you think?