Coleman café build (that's the plan at least )

I really appreciate it! I need to get some throttle parts from a tecumseh big block. The "L" piece from the throttle cable hook up. Does anyone have a part number or engine number that would help me find that? Whoops, I forgot to add, the aftermarket engine without a governor. This motor be never had one... But I just need the kit

Last edited:
Made miles of progress today! :scooter:Finished the motor mount. Cut the chain and inslalled it. Then, I sat on the bike and the chain is slack... I think I have to make a chain tensioner:eek:ut:? Any suggestions? Also, I'll be lowering the motor another 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch

Last edited:
Ryan,

I would add a jack shaft if you have access to a welder. Two reasons: One, you won't have to worry about the chain slack and two, you will be able to modify your gear ratio with different sprocket sizes on the jack shaft. You would need to mount it so the shaft is in direct line with the swing arm mounts.

I was thinking of a tensioner, but a jack shaft would be nice... I think I will custom make brackets and weld them on only down side to a jack shaft would be tha fact that the motor position is not really adjustable. I'd have to machine koles in the plate to move it forward or back. I was thinking of a serpentine belt type tensioner, with a torsion spring housed internally.... So many choises:hammer:

Well, I rigged up a gas tank last night, put the chain on, set it up so I could go for a test drive. It took a while to start, the pumper carbs are tough to prime. But once it got going it was FAST! I took it around the block 3 times, screamin like mad. The chain fell off because I lost my axel adjuster nuts. I talked to a buddy of mine and he advised that I run 50:1 since modern oil is a lot better. But I filled the white tank half way, and after 2 full throttle passes, the tank was almost empty.

Last edited:
Ok, so I have the bike almost driveable. I need to order a new clutch. I made a throttle using a home made linkage and a 2hp brigs carb part. It works good and has a solid feel. I bought a 2 jet carbeurator off Craigslist for 10$. Waiting on a clutch so I can tune it. Today, I'm heading to Hartford wi to buy a new seat. But, it's almost ready to ride, then it will broken down and re painted. As you can see, the crank had to be extended so, I machined a piece and I tapped it all the way through used a bolt with the head cut off and welded in a groove I made. Well, the reason I ned a new clutch is that the crank role where the weld was. I tried to get the clutch off but I had to use a puller and it separated the base from the steel sleeve on that goes over the crank. I had to cut it off. I'm going to order a Hilliard clutch. I have 2 and I love them. I brazed the crank this time.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the coleman 2.4s had a vin number? I want to register it the motor is "50 cc" I'll stamp that in the block. But do I jammed a bill of sale to try and get a registration as a moped? I think in Wisconsin, some under 50 cc bikes or scooters don't need a title, but a certificate of origin. Would I need insurance? Maybe, if I need this stuff, SimpleTom could give me a bill of sale. Just in case

Last edited:
YES! I got an original seat! Only 1 small tear. I drove an hour to get it, and this guy had at least 15 colemans. But I paid for it... 40$ with foam. It is in great shape, I cleaned it, armor allied it and it fits the bike perfectly! :thumbsup::smile:

:angry:these pictures are always upsidedown...

Love the cafe look on that Coleman, nice work man!

Did you solve the tensioner problem yet? I make these idlers, wonder if I could spring load one....how much room do you have for an idler?

That is really cool! id have a place to mount it too. I have 3 options... Lower mother a little so the crank is at the same height as the swing arm. Or a jack shaft of sorts.. I'd get a piece of block steel, machine out for 2, 1 3/8 od and 3/4 I'd bearings and have o e sprocket from the clutch to a sprocke and the other to the wheel. The block would be welded to the frame or the tensioner.

Idk I still need a clutch. I think my best option is to lower the front of the engine mount to line up the crank and swing arm. Plus I wouldn't be able to afford one. Looks pricey! Real nice Nd clean though!

Last edited:
By the way, thanks! I've tried to go as cafe as possible without breaking the bank! I took a pic of the front mount. I could cut out the flat piece and chop down the upright pieces and drill new holes for the mount bolt or add a tensioner. That would be easier than the jack shaft.

Last edited:
Small update tonight. I ordered a 10 tooth clutch from OldMiniBikes eBay store. Waiting on that, then, I need to figure out my chain problem. I did a rough tuning on it. It will sit and idle until its out of gas. I also did my wiring today. One switch controls the headlight, and one under the seat pan turns on the taillight. :001_tt2:

Update. Made some "mono-shaft" which is half a jack shaft mock up pieces. I will be ordering my bearings Monday. 3/4 ID and 1 5/8 OD. They ar industrial bearings, double shielded flanged. The cardboard part will be steel with a 7/8 half circle to fit on the frame tube. This will be wire welded on with a massive Lincoln welder. No worry of stress tearing it off. I'll buy some sprockets tomorrow from northern tool or something.

Still cranking' away on the bike!