Coleman ct200u gx200 clone recurring gasket leak

Greetings..I am having issue with my gearcase cover leaking from gasket on gx200 clone..I just replaced it a few weeks ago for same issue..I checked pcv breather is clear and hose OK..should I use this sealer along with new gasket? If i use this will it be a real pain to remove it if i got to go back in? Should i make a copper one? I have heard bad things about rtv silicone stuff getting in engine..is stock aside from muffler and air filter..I did remove jackshaft as you see to gear it higher to ride on dirt road and a few pavement cruises..I don't care about low end..I read maybe bad head gasket could cause pressure to cause leak.only 10 months old...I don't know torque specs ..but seen done on ytube not using torque wrench..just snugging up good..any input appreciated.. thanks.. IMG_20161002_204818.jpg IMG_20160915_205247.jpg

Last edited:
The sidecover gasket is your shim for the end play of the crank. Adding RTV sealer will add thickness and increase play. I've sprayed a few with the copper gasket coating with good luck. Also, be sure that there isn't a hairline crack in the case or sidecover. The torque specs can be found in a sticky at the top of the clone engine section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trinik7597

I have found with a couple clone motors that the bolts actually are slightly too long and bottom out before getting the side cover tight ..you may want to check that . I have never added any sealer to a side cover gasket and never had an issue

Thanks pals..I will try that copper spray coating on a new gasket after viewing ytube use..looks like a good product and buy a torque wrench..might as well aluminum has pretty soft threads..and a can use washers or grind a wee bit off ends of bolts if looks like bottoming out....and yeah I cleaned both surfaces with alcohol.used a single edge razor blade carefully removing all of old gasket materials.. All good input thank so much : ]

Last edited:
Well...I put new gasket on today coating it with permatex copper gasket spray..I checked with a wire the depth of mounting holes..they had 3/8 or more extra depth so they are OK..I warmed engine up after.. good ..looked ok ..let it sit an hour ..took a ride...after a bit saw a small oil streak out one bolt ..maybe is little warp there.. so decided to take bolt out and spray threads w heavy coat of the copper spray..taped off gearcase bolt hole and sprayed down the hole too..let dry tightened back up..rode and gave hard run..worked!! Yaaaa ..thanks again. : ]

fixed clone crankcase gasket leak.been weeks hard riding no leaks....i have put 4 gaskets many ways and this worked..overkill :gun_bandana: FDA SILICONE RUBBER SHEET 1/16" THICK 12" X 12" SQUARE FOOD GRADE HIGH TEMP | eBay ..my guess its a pressure cooker gasket haha. saw mom blow up our corned beef and cabbage opening one of those at least twice when i was a kid :eek:hmy: :biggrin:...im not worried too thick.. this gasket affair must end :glare: ....you can get 1/32" or 1/64 i think... after riding then resnugging cover no issues..if causes more wear on engine im ok with that