Coleman CT200U problems

I am brand new to the mini bike world nor am I familiar with engines so bear with me on this issue. I need some help diagnosing a couple problems with this bike. It is brand new as of today but there are clearly some issues.

First, there is a loud grinding sound when it is supposed to be idling but it also tries to move forward as if the accelerator is being twisted. When I lift up the rear tire the wheel spins and the grinding noise is not as loud but still present. If I use the brake, it will end up stopping the forward motion and the grinding but only for a few seconds and then it starts up again.

Second, when it is being driven down the road, I hear a clanking sound - almost like metal against metal.

Not sure if these two problems are related but interestlingly they do not tend to make the sounds at the same time.

Please help!

If just moving on idle..oil the clutch...check owners manual and read that manual from front to back before you start it..It is shipped with oil drained..break it in slowly and then change break in oil after a short time..do not use synthetic oil for beak in... If need google oil centrifugal clutch.. also that clutch will chatter a little until shoes wear in a few minutes ..mine was same way when i got it..that should do it..cheers

Last edited:
Hello ScoutDog...welcome to the OldMiniBikes...!

I think your grinding sound is your clutch. Another member on here from Raleigh, had the same issue with his. He contacted the support line for the Coleman bike's, they referred him to a local repair shop, and replaced the clutch under warranty.

Also, while waiting for help, make sure the clutch bushing is lubricated.

The clanking issue may be a loose chain, slapping against your chain guard...?

Last edited:
Hi again scoutdog..Another problem that makes a rattle metal sound is the fork bolt..if is too loose will chatter upon giving throttle....sit on bike move hanldle bars left until stop hits and then right till stop and push a little more ..if it has play tighten the fork bolt until it feels a little tighter when you turn forks side to side..you will need to check that every now and then..just remembered that one

Problem fixed!

If just moving on idle..oil the clutch...check owners manual and read that manual from front to back before you start it..It is shipped with oil drained..break it in slowly and then change break in oil after a short time..do not use synthetic oil for beak in... If need google oil centrifugal clutch.. also that clutch will chatter a little until shoes wear in a few minutes ..mine was same way when i got it..that should do it..cheers
I did as you recommended and watched a few videos on oiling the clutch and the grinding problem is resolved...I guess temporarily. It sounds like this is an issue that can happen quite often.

I checked the fork and other bolts just to make sure they were all tight and no issues there. I wonder if the clanking sound is related to the chain somehow. I noticed the chain tension wheel is a bit crooked - is that normal? I would assume it needs to be straight.

Your chain on back may be hitting the guard..The chain being new the tensioner is under alot of pressure until chain stretches can tilt a little..your back chain sprocket tension is tightened buy loosening rear axle and tightening those pulls..having around 1/2" play when lifting chain is good..stock chains stretch alot more expensive chain not as bad.. replacing chain dependings how much you ride

Hey Scout, I'm the one that Robert was talking about earlier (who got his clutch replaced by a local shop and charged to Coleman). I'm glad your clutch began to behave after oiling it but according to many others here on the oldminibikes forum and also according to the older gentleman who owned the repair shop here in Raleigh, those clutches they put on the CT200U basically suck. He told me that they strongly recommend putting a Max Torque clutch on the thing as soon as the warranty runs out.

So I guess my point is this: If it runs ok with the stock clutch, fine. Run it until it's ragged. But if that clutch gives you much trouble at all, call Coleman and tell them you are having issues with it. They probably won't even blink twice before sending you to a shop. I've also read on here that they end up just sending the new clutch directly to you if you'd prefer.