Comet vs Aftermarket

So I was rooting around in the garage tonight and found I have a GX390 from...something; looks like I have a donor engine for the TriRod. Now, my question is: should I be looking at strictly Comet clutches or are any aftermarket ones worthwhile? I'm needing a 40 Series driver, at the minimum. Then driven has surface rust on it -- worth sanding or simply buy new? Depending on the aftermarket, I can get a set of pulleys for about the price of one Comet. I'm not trying to be chinzy but am happy to buy the Chevy part if I don't have to buy the Cadillac one, if you know what I mean. I'd also prefer to stay away from the junk. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Steve73

So I was rooting around in the garage tonight and found I have a GX390 from...something; looks like I have a donor engine for the TriRod. Now, my question is: should I be looking at strictly Comet clutches or are any aftermarket ones worthwhile? I'm needing a 40 Series driver, at the minimum.

I use 40 series ebay specials and love them. I use it on my dunecycle

toomanytoys

I've been super happy with my Amazon China special TAV. They work well. I havent had a failure yet except my belt exploding but I had over worked it a bit.

mustangfrank

So I was rooting around in the garage tonight and found I have a GX390 from...something; looks like I have a donor engine for the TriRod. Now, my question is: should I be looking at strictly Comet clutches or are any aftermarket ones worthwhile? I'm needing a 40 Series driver, at the minimum. Then driven has surface rust on it -- worth sanding or simply buy new? Depending on the aftermarket, I can get a set of pulleys for about the price of one Comet. I'm not trying to be chinzy but am happy to buy the Chevy part if I don't have to buy the Cadillac one, if you know what I mean. I'd also prefer to stay away from the junk. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
As expensive as the 40 series are vs 20 or 30 series, I'd try sanding or if you can take it apart give it a vinegar soak. You got at least one positive vote for a China 40 clone above, I'll put a word in for the genuine US Comet...nobody ever complains after buying genuine, you will read complaints about clones.

Cuda54

If you have a comet it is worth redoing it. I have taken my sharpening stones to a driver and driven. I started with a cheap course stone to get the most rust off and went down to a 600. When I was done it worked like new just keep it as flat as you can but if it is grooved just fallow it. When you are done spray it with brakeclean and relube where needed. I saw one that a guy buffed to a mirror shine for his mini bike LOOKED great too. If your cheap redo what you have it might be better than anything you can get. I will fix what I can but I still buy new when needed

I had trouble with loose rivets in the aftermarket 20 & 30 drivens when they first came out a decade or so ago. One failed before I even made it completely out of the garage door. None lasted more than a month before failing. I think the rivets were too short and not bucked correctly. DSC00026.jpg Comet_20_driven.jpg