Considering Building a Homebuilt Bike

So after reading quite a few threads, gathering 100's of minibike photos, and modifying my current minibike, I decided I want to build a style of my own with my own frame using whatever parts I can find locally (with minor exceptions) on a limited budget. I'm an older guy but not a big fan of the traditional style of minibikes. Being new to this forum I was also contemplating entering the build-off but decided not to for the following reason. After reading the requirement must be in the "spirit of the minibike", I felt my idea was out of place and shouldnt be logged there. Also, I dont have any parts and prefer to pick up what i need as i need it. I want a bike that is slightly larger than the traditional minibike but smaller than a 3/4 style and be street legal but at the same time use ideas and components from the minibike inventory. Other members have doc builds on here that include 3 wheels, tracks, etc so I figure why not be different. anyway, i scribbled/doodled a couple different ideas and plan to begin in the next week or two on the build. the one labeled "FatAss" is my #1 current choice, the other is a chopper style followed by a bobber style. The scale may be slightly off but for perspective the tire/wheel combo plan of using a 10" trailer wheel with tire diameter of 16-18" or possibly something from the golf cart markets. Let me know what you think or if Im completely wacked out of my mind.

Aaaah, yes! That thing is fine.
No reason to not try it. Would be a great build!
Thanks Doc! I just got done researching parts and am going to go with a live axle setup for the rear so that I can use a hub with a 4" on 4 bolt pattern like member RatBike has done. I will be able to use the golf cart DOT 16 x 8.5 on 8 on back and whatever trailer tire and wheel combo I can find that is equivalent to a 16" overall height and about 5" width on front. For braking, probably will go with a drum/sprocket setup for brakes but am also considering a clutch band brake with scrub as a backup to keep frame width to a minimum.

I'd try to find a scooter tire for the front personally. I saw on your sketch "350-ish cc'. Are you goin Intek 342 or a GX 340? Or something else I haven't considered?

Hey FM 71 , its a lot of work to build from scratch but is well worth it when your done.
I used a 16.5 , 6.5 , 8 on the back of one of my bikes with a live axel , but used a disk brake from a chinese atv worked out well for me
Here is a picture or two of the rear wheel.

Good luck , and take lots of pictures.

I'd try to find a scooter tire for the front personally. I saw on your sketch "350-ish cc'. Are you goin Intek 342 or a GX 340? Or something else I haven't considered?
Thanks for the input Adrenaline, I am definately looking for salvaged parts as an option but keep coming back to this trailer tire that i can pick up at our farm and fleet store for about $36. It is DOT, 16" x 4.5" on 8" wheel and has no mention of "trailer use only" on it.

The engine, I wasnt sure of the cc's at the time, but it is the next bigger one that i seen at harbor freight with the electric start and charging coil. I believe it is the clone version of the 342 you referenced above. I would love to get a honda, or something similar but this is an area I can't really afford to splurge in. I like the Predator 212 so thinking that for 300$ I can't go wrong with a 342. Then again, I may just stick with another 212 and go with a jackshaft setup or torque converter.

Last edited:
Hey FM 71 , its a lot of work to build from scratch but is well worth it when your done.
I used a 16.5 , 6.5 , 8 on the back of one of my bikes with a live axel , but used a disk brake from a chinese atv worked out well for me

Good luck , and take lots of pictures.
BigRob, thanks for the advice. I seen others are putting couplings on the shaft (outside of the shaft bearings) and wondered if you had any sideplay without them. the setup you show is exactly what i had in mind. how wide is the frame in back from shaft bearing to shaft bearing? (axle width) and did you get a custom shaft made or just cut the threads and excess off?

you shouldnt need locking collars on the outside as long as you have something to keep the axle from sliding out on the inside somewhere. or just use a locking collar inside with your spacers

I used 3/4 " keyed shaft and cut it to length , the flange mount bearings have a concentric collar that locks on to the bearings I chose to use them on the outside.
The sprocket , wheel and brake disk are all mounted on seperate keyed hubs.
I will measure the frame width when I get a chance

old thread revisited

Been a while since I posted anything on this thread but alot of what I learned from the members who commented on here helped me with my chopper for OldMiniBikes-13 build. Now that the bike is complete, I want to revisit this idea. It's not going to be a minibike but more like a 3/4 size bike. I have seen so many other kinds of builds on here that I am truly inspired to build something different and one that will really push my imagination and current fabrication skills. I have refined my original drawings and undecided if I will do another chopper or go with the low and stretched out bobber style. I still like the idea of a ribbed cage design, no fender out back except for a partial cover and low seat. Appreciate any feedback you might offer, thanks for looking.

Cool looking concept, I am not familiar with the laws in your area but street legal from scratch is tough... it's the VIN number for me that's the killer. Here is a cool thread to check out this guy Graucho builds some crazy choppers. LoBoy Fat Tire Chopper Bicycle
You don't have to use them but maybe throw a set of pedals on there call it a moped no vin, inspection, registration, or insurance.

Cool looking concept, I am not familiar with the laws in your area but street legal from scratch is tough... it's the VIN number for me that's the killer. Here is a cool thread to check out this guy Graucho builds some crazy choppers. LoBoy Fat Tire Chopper Bicycle
You don't have to use them but maybe throw a set of pedals on there call it a moped no vin, inspection, registration, or insurance.
thanks Chain. It will be easier if I can find a donor bike and use a title and engine and build a new frame around, but Wisconsin requires a similar process as in the kit car industry and needs to meet certain criteria- seat height, horns, mirrors, lights, typical safety stuff. The engine size will determine where it can be taken but Im going to try and keep a low profile.

I have already changed the design a little more and morphed the two designs into one since I can't make up my mind. It has a slighly taller chopper look. Still looking for a small displacement donor bike.