Continental motors Corp. AU 8.5

I acquired a basket containing possibly all of a 3 horse 1951-53 I'm told motor.
Any info would be appreciated.
Spec no 127-450

CarPlayLB

The Continental's are very solid motors! It is what the quarter midget guys used for decades. There are speed parts available, but ya gotta really hunt them down. Some mini's had these such as the Simplex bikes.

Ignition is apart need to know what and how to reassemble? How to test coil. Carb kits available? Linkage diagrams?
Since you said racing , what would I need for speed?
I am uploading photos now.

Don't fully quote me on this...but the 3hp was not used for racing. The 5hp versions and a few other were. Yours was most likely from a lawn machine or something of that nature. I have the book of Continental for those years...but they don't get into those details. However it does give an exploded view of the motor and details about what it came with on the motor. And parts...are like finding unobtanium....
Note..JamesC seems to have a few of these motors...and would be a good person to PM. I don't see him on here to often..but he normally responds.

Last edited:

mack

Check out amigatec.net engine manuals 127.400 & 127.450 for tech data. Yours may have been on a piece of David Bradley farm equipment sold by Sears. I thought the AU7's were used on karts. I have an AU8, it is also missing the govenor/points housing and has an incorrect carb. I have found it difficult to find parts. Points, condensor and carb rebuild kit appear available. I need a Tillotson MT25A carb. If anyone has one please contact me. You can also pm me for other questions. Good Luck, mack