Crank Seal Material Choice - NBR or Viton?

I am sourcing some new crank seals for my fleet of Sachs Saxonette 50 2-cycle engines. I've got a few NOS seals but they are pretty dry and stiff after 40+ years sitting in a drawer.

Common shaft seals are made with nitril black rubber (NBR), but the heat range on NBR only goes up to 200 degrees F. For something that is just inches from the cylinder, is that enough? I have no idea how hot it gets in that part of the engine. Transmission fluid is on one side of the seal, air on the other.

Viton is brown and has a rating up to 400 degrees F. I'm having a hard time finding it in the size I need and it's 5 times the price.

Anyone use NBR seals in an engine with good luck or should I go for Viton? Something else? :shrug:

MB165

i doubt you will have any problems with the buna n seals, but yeah i agree its gonna be close at times on the high temp. they are pretty much standard issue for most all manufacturers now, but
we did have some heat related pto seal failures in the generac GN990 engines, air cooled jobs. they came out with a viton replacement.