Crazy Trip in a Piper Cub

Hey, guys! Gotta put the minibike restorations on hold for a couple of months. My wife and I bought an antique airplane and we're flying it to all 48 states this summer and writing a book about our experiences. The book will be published later this year and if we sell enough of 'em, we might actually be able to afford enough gas to make it all the way around the country! We leave on July 1st and hope to be back in Maryland by Labor Day. Please send us all the good karma you can. I don't need an engine failure over the Grand Canyon! :doah: You can find details and trip updates on our website, Holladay Aviation. Thanks for taking the time to look! :thumbsup:

Dana Holladay

Low and Slow Is The Way To Go !

Good Luck on your journey around the US , That would be a fun trip to make in a vintage Piper like the Cub . I loved the 52' Piper Tri Pacer I had and my 62' Colt was a fun plane to fly . Dont worry about the engine failures there not as scary as cracked up to be , I had my engine failure on my 5th lesson 500 feet off the end of runway 12 in a 79' Piper Tomahawk , they fly like a rock on a good day but will take a beating through the corn fields:laugh: ! That was the first [and last I pray] for me and my instructor and I hope she hasn't had another one in the last 30 + years .

Sounds like a blast to do! Be sure to signal with your engine as you fly over Thunder Mountain on your way to Albuquerque,NM.
There is a nice little air port in Edgewood,NM that would get you ready to cross over Sandia Mountain.

Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there.

Have fun!:smile:

Rapidrob, we will likely be passing thru Albuquerque, but it's not for sure! I have a friend there who could put us up for the night, but we may pass further north. Depends on temperature and winds when we hit New Mexico in mid-August.

Peeloto, I did my first solo in a J-3 Cub back in the early 60's. In view of the fact that the Cub has only enough extra room for a shaving kit and maybe a pack of gum; the question that comes to my mind is: Where in the hell are you going to put the rest of your luggage? Ogy

you may be better off flying just north of White Sands Missile Range, we have many fires burning out of control in the north of the state. If we don't get rain soon there really is nothing to stop them.

buckeye

Gadsen has a real cool waterfall. Old Indian maid threw herself over the falls after her heart was broken. Kinda cool place.
If ya have a change of plans and need a place to lay your head, you are welcome here.

Buckeye! You rock! We'll keep that in mind! Ogy, we can carry 22 pounds of luggage which ain't much! A lightweight backpacking tent, two self-inflating sleeping pads, a couple changes of clothes, shower kit, and camera. I'll try and post photos of the plane...in the meantime, photos and a promo video for the trip can be viewed at Holladay Aviation. Thanks for all the input, guys!!!

Rapidrob, looks like we may fly right over you. Our route may take us east from Albuquerque, following I-40 to Tucumcari and beyond. This route takes us within a few miles of the Edgewood Airport.