Current stage of my drag-bug project

I'm almost finished with this now! Woot. I just need to buy myself that billet flywheel, repaint some areas(poor planning and ideas to be done after I painted), buy a new clutch, hydraulic breaks, and i'm set.

Since my last post I've:
Made a new exhaust pipe
Added foot pegs
Added a carb brace and 45 degree manifold
Added a spring to the interior of the manifold to reduce vacuum collapse
bought my chain (Very nice chain on ebay, 5ft of #35)
rode it around
made an exhaust shroud because my leg kept getting too hot
rode it around some more

Pic of bike before list of mods above:

Pics of bike now:

Chain tensioner wheel has been added where the old bracket existed.

The carb brace is a steel rod welded to the frame with a cup on the top end, lined with rubber. This rubber holds the bottom of the mikuni carb's bowl drain tightly and the carb can barely move.

Again, I'm going to improve that paint job. Very rough now. I'll be sanding out all of the areas with the burnt paint and completely recoating it with primer, color, clear.

cncd11

nice butt... That long of a chain you are gonna be throwing it left and right. You otta try to move that motor plate back as far as possible to have a short of a chain as possible. You will have alot less problems. Plus there is a lil more weight and i believe that long of a chain will rob a little bit of power.

I've put about 2 hours riding on this so far doing between 20 and 40 and I haven't tossed the chain yet. :) Why would a longer chain necessarily cause the chain to be constantly falling off?

cncd11

you will be adjusting the chain alot due to chain stretch which will cause you to throw the chain if you arent constantly checking it. I had a friend with a similar setup on his dirt racer and he was running into this problem.

ever heard of oil impregnated nylon material you can getm it in sheets and mill a slot in it the width of the chain or a fuz wider and deep enough to let the whole chain in position it on the frame so it halfway between the clutch and rear sprocket on the bottom of the chain if the chain goes slack it helps keep it lined up so it doesnt derail. similar setups on old 3 and 4 wheelers with swing arm rear suspensions

i also see you have what looks like a skateboard wheel to adjust the chain you could also atach that to a spring loaded arm and cut a groove in the wheel to keep the chain slack in check

I'm just using the stock doodlebug chain tensioner wheel.

I'll look into a spring loaded tensioner. That wouldn't be too hard to fabricate. A lot easier than moving the engine plate back.

took it out for another hour today. this bike is a blast. lol.

no thrown chain yet.

my friends go kart is another story though. the chain is in line and is perfectly tightened but it keeps throwing it. No idea why.

ordered my billet flywheel and 1.2 ratio rockers! I've read that you need lash caps with stainless valves + ratio rockers + high lift cams, Is this true? I bought 2 caps just in case. Just wondering if it is necessary.

Charged my video camera and made a mount for it so that I can put it on my forks of my db for when I get you guys video of it running. I'll post a video of all the details about it, and my 1.2 rockers and billet flywheel install. :)

Too excited to video the install so I just went and did it and I'll have a video up later tonight of me riding it for a speed test.

I can already tell the improved power over the stock rockers. Quite crazy how much you notice something so small. The flywheel gives me much better throttle response and its quicker to rev. Really awesome purchase.

So far I've done 55mph again, with my previous high speed being 55.8. With new rockers and a billet wheel, theres definitely room to go.

WOOT!

Too excited to video the install so I just went and did it and I'll have a video up later tonight of me riding it for a speed test.

So far I've done 55mph again, with my previous high speed being 55.8. With new rockers and a billet wheel, theres definitely room to go.

WOOT!
Right on man! I can't wait to see the video. Does the front end stay down, or does it tend to wheelie a little on ya? Are you having any issues with the chain stretching yet?