DB 30 vs Baja Carbon (6.5 HP) - suggestions?

Jay2

I am new to posting here, and I tried to search this, but could not find a history of this question, so here goes...Currently I have a DB 30, which in a few days will be getting a 6.5 HP clone engine ($99 on sale at HF) / (mounting kit from cjmini), and looking to have a minibike with some power, much like the one I had 30 years ago (5 HP Briggs / LiL Indian - I think), but considering getting a second minibike for my 13 year old son and I to ride together. Was looking at buying a new DB 30 for $169 (on sale), and another 6.5 engine upgrade ($220) (total cost = $169 + $220 = $389), but now having second thoughts about purchasing the Baja Carbon 6.5 HP (the larger Baja model) new for $379 (on sale). I know that the Baja Carbon, does not have the "vintage look", which is more important to me, than my 13 year old son.My son suggested getting the Baja Carbon, since it already has the 6.5 HP motor, and larger tires, a light, and shocks, which seems like it may be better suited to riding on outdoor trails.Thought this forum would be a good place to ask for advantages / disadvantages of these two Baja minibikes, and looking forward to recommendations, experiences with these Baja models.

Last edited:
I just purchased a db30 and baja carbon a couple of weeks ago. It is nice to have both of them for riding with my son. I think that the baja carbon is more bike for the dollar but it does not have the old school look like you said. Another nice thing about the carbon is the fact that it has a headlight for driving a night. I put torque converters on both bikes and am impressed with both of them. Cant go wrong with owning one of each.

fonz

Check out UTube. They have some great videos from people who have put a Torq-a-Verter on a Baja Carbon/Baja Heat. They fly to about 40-45. The Carbon/Heat has a gear reduction jack shaft that keeps them at 20mph out of the box. The engine is crap though. Expect a few troubles.

...Was looking at buying a new DB 30 for $169 (on sale), and another 6.5 engine upgrade ($220) (total cost = $169 + $220 = $389), but now having second thoughts about purchasing the Baja Carbon 6.5 HP (the larger Baja model) new for $379 (on sale)....
I too own a Doodle Bug I use to own a Baja Carbon. I enjoyed riding both mini bikes. The advantage I found with the Doodle Bug was that there was absolutely nothing I couldn’t fix for cheap. Engine swaps are easy and when you break something it is easy to find or fabricate parts. I own a couple of other mini bikes as well, including a couple of oldies. I almost hate to admit though, I prefer the Doodle Bug for its reliability. People call them “Chinese junk” but I think that is only because they have never owned one. I have an old Tote Gote that I have to ride like a little girl. I have broken parts on it before and I had to spend a month looking for replacement parts, and a couple more weeks’ waiting for the parts to arrive.

Jay2

Thanks for the recommendatons and comments. Made the decision yesterday, to go with the DB 30, and also purchased the 6.5 HP HF clone, and ordered a second engine kit from CJTMini.

My son and I will have the same mini bikes, and in the end seems that when we put the new engine on, we can do more of the work / repairs ourselves, as well as others told me that the larger baja bike, seems to have more problems.

Last evening showed my son the new DB 30 and 6.5 HP engine, now were both like kids, can hardly wait to get the new engines on and ride!

Something tells me that I will continue to look at new modifications, improvments in the future... this may end up being more expensive than originally anticipated, but the fun should be priceless!

Will continue to watch this web site and learn from others. Now I have to figure out how to sell, the original 2.8 HP engines / clutches (one used and one brand new no oil or gas even in engine), to help minimize the cost so far.

Last night my wife was teasing me about being on a mini bike, from a line from the movie "Tommy Boy"... Big guy and a little bike...

Will continue to watch this web site and learn from others. Now I have to figure out how to sell, the original 2.8 HP engines / clutches (one used and one brand new no oil or gas even in engine), to help minimize the cost so far.
i'd start out by posting them in the classifieds here.