DB30S /Predatpr Stage 1 question

Correct me if I'm wrong (been awhile since I've looked) the stage one is just basically a filter, header, valve springs, the jetting required to use the filter, and the stuff required to install the filter. Since you are keeping the factory carb and not changing the linkage there is no reason why what is working now can't continue to work after.

Didn't notice the kit included valve springs. At any rate I don't plan on engine modifications. Would do the stage 1 more for esthetics. at 70+ YO I don't want to exceed my riding capabilities. Can I leave out the offset key?
Bought the DB w/ new motor incorrectly installed so I'm doing a disassembly, detail, and reassembly. Motor was installed w/ the clutch sprocket outboard and motor mounted off center.

Last edited:
So all you want to do is add the filter and header. You still have to rejet it, more air means it needs more fuel. Personally I would look and see if its cheaper to just buy a filter kit (filter, jet, and adapter) and a header vs buying a stage one kit.

true ..greetings. .nothing wrong with a mild mod.....different gearing may come to mind.. is easy and you're gonna be spending a lot of time on chains and clutch maintenance anyway..you can change riding characteristics of the bike just getting clutch with a tooth or more...keeping other clutch and chain to swap back if you want..fun sometimes to do if you feel like changing top speed..cheers

Last edited:
I say best bang for the buck on a doodlebug already with a 212 swap will be converting it to a torque converter but I don't own one so take what I say with a grain of salt. You shop around you can pick a TAV up for around (even less if you look) than the stage one kit. The mods to put it on seem easy enough to do with hand tools.

(not my videos)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V13k4Zp5nJw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZYeR4t16sE

Last edited:

Hent

Yes, the governor remains intact with the stage 1 kit. We sell an aluminum motor plate that will help you drill and align your motor on the frame while reinforcing the stock weak motor plate. I recommend the throttle kit as well, though some people find it unnecessary.... I like my throttle to spring back like a dirt bike. A tav is also an awesome upgrade for just about anything.

Correct me if I'm wrong (been awhile since I've looked) the stage one is just basically a filter, header, valve springs, the jetting required to use the filter, and the stuff required to install the filter. Since you are keeping the factory carb and not changing the linkage there is no reason why what is working now can't continue to work after.
This is all that you really need to do, and is definitely a worthwhile (read: noticeable) performance improvement. When we had our DB's that is all we did and they gave us a LOT of riding enjoyment.
Michael