Did I Ruin the Engine!? No Oil

I have a 3hp Briggs and Stratton engine that was sitting around for some time. We drained the oil and replaced the gas and added some new parts to the carburator. I think I got a little to anxious to test the engine and ran it at very low rpm without any oil in it for about 10-15 seconds. I am hoping that the remaining oil left in the engine after I drained it was enough for the 15 seconds... I hope.

When I took the cylinder head off to paint it I noticed that the cylinder itself didn't have any cross stitched pattern on it. I am not very knowledgebale about engines but I read somewhere there is supposed to be a cross stitiched pattern. But I don't know, could I have done something bad by to the cylinder.

This is my first mini bike and a great learning experience.
Any help or advice would be great1
Nick

I doubt you hurt anything if you didn't rev it up. An older engine that has a lot of run time won't have any crosshatch on the bore walls. The rings will have worn the walls smooth as they seated. You hone a crosshatch in on a rebuild to help ring seating.

oldfatguy

it should be fine if you only ran it for a short time,the first thing to go would be the rod bearing surface.As long as it didn't seize up and over heat you didn't cause any damage so don't worry about it put oil in it add go. It is a good habit to get into is checking the oil before you start any engine

well since you cut the motor off then its still ok but if it stopped instantly on its own then you would be :censure: just make sure you put oil in before you restart because that oil might not be on the crank piston and rings and you wont be so lucky