Dies when choke is off

Briggs 6.5 OHV Engine

Ok so here is the deal. Runs, but not great when the choke is on. As soon as i take the choke off, it dies. BUT if I hold the throttle full with choke off, it runs awesome, but will die as soon as I let off the throttle.

So....I was told by someone here that the carb was leaking air and to replace the seals.

Today I installed a new bowl seal, that plastic block that is between the carb and engine, the two seals associated with it. I also replace the needle type plunger that connects to the float in the bowl. The float also is good, sealed, no fluid leaked inside.

So I goto start it, starts 1st pull, I let it warm up with the choke on @ 75% for a few minutes, as soon as I start to take the choke off, the engine dies.

I start to think maybe its not getting enough fuel? I drain the tank out, clean the inside, make sure there is good flow, cleaned the fuel lines out, no filter so no need to worry. Put it back on....same deal.....dies with choke is off.

What is the problem? I am really stumped? Help! lol

Check the valve lash, I'm not certain what the correct lash is on that engine but it's easy to find out. I have a 5.5 briggs that did the same thing. I rebuilt the carb and set the lash to .004 I believe but dont quote me on that, I've slept since then. They're great engines and can be made to run quite well!:thumbsup:

Check the valve lash, I'm not certain what the correct lash is on that engine but it's easy to find out. I have a 5.5 briggs that did the same thing. I rebuilt the carb and set the lash to .004 I believe but dont quote me on that, I've slept since then. They're great engines and can be made to run quite well!:thumbsup:
Explain what a valve lash is and how do I check it if you can?

Update. I took the carb off again and showered it with gum out carb cleaner. All the small holes. The needle valve area and I noticed the bottom plug bolt had some holes, so I blew that out as well. I don't think there is any dirt left, their can't be I used half the can lol.

Still same results. Starts with choke on, warmed up, still stalls out with no choke. I've done everything I can't think up, minus the valve lash. Will that matter? Also I'm testing it with no filter, which shouldn't matter, ive ran engines before with out it.

What more can I do??? I'm lost at this point and about to drop it off at a shop ( which I hate, I'm a diy guy )