Difficult or expensive to restore Fuji Go Devil?

Hi. I'm brand new to OldMiniBikes.com and have a question for you guys. My father still has the Fuji Go Devil he bought 40(?) years ago. I don't know if he bought it new or used. If I pull this out of his basment with the intention of restoring it for use, would it be super difficult or expensive to get it done?

Thanks,
Rodd

No one can answer your question with the info you have given us.
I wasn't asking for a dollar figure on what a restore would cost. I was asking more general questions.

Are Go Devils more expensive to restore than other old mini-bikes?

Are good used, or new-old-stock, parts for Go Devils harder to find than those for other old mini-bikes?

Thanks,
Rodd

ALL PARTS HAVE GOT MOOR AVAILABLE SINCE THE INTERNET IT CAN COST AS MUCH AS YOU LIKE TO SPEND BUT TO PUT IT BACK TO A RIDER PROBABLY COST KNOW MOOR THEN IN OTHER MINIBIKE, I BET YOUR DAD WOULD LOVE IT IF YOU DID IF MY DAD WOULD HAVE HAD ONE AND IT WAS IN MY BASEMENT I HAVE HER UP IN TO THE SUN SHINE TODAY. WELCOME TO OLD MINIBIKES :scooter::scooter:

Glenn,

Thanks for the feedback/encouragement. I need to get back to the parent's house to get it out and get some pics. I'm thinking it will be all there and all original, with age simply taking its toll.

If anyone doesn't know what this mini-bike is, here's a link to SOMEONE ELSE'S bike of the same type.
http://www.californiacar.com/godevil.htm

My dad bought his because he had a private plane and he would fly to air shows and get around on the Go Devil. It was also fun around the house with my brother and me.

Thanks,
Rodd

FIXING stuff should not be very hard... FINDING stuff might be.. Depends on how complete it is.. The motors and exhaust pipes can be kinda hard to find... But even if the engine is missing.. theres thousands of OTHER options.. Throw a 30 dollar briggs 3 horse in it if need be... :shrug:

Aging in a basement probably doesn't mean much..

these are cool little bikes that are rock stars at swap meets. When I pull up with mine and drop the rear wheel so it sits down on the frame so i can go look at parts it always draws a crowd. Definately worth your time and effort unless it has really big problems. But if it was stored under cover or in the basement you shouldnt have to much trouble. If you dont think your up to it there are plenty of guys out there to take it off your hands. :thumbsup:

Not looking to sell, just wondering if it will cost tons of cash to restore. I'll be at my parents for the 4th of July and I'll get some pics of it. If it doesn't smell too bad of fuel, oil, or basement stank, then I'll bring it home!

Is slowly pulling the starter cable (string?) the best way to see if the motor is at least moving? Having a siezed motor would suck.

OK, here's a legit question. What are the things I need to check to determine the condition and restorability of this Fuji Go Devil?

Here's what I can think of. It would be great if you guys would expand on it.
  • Pull starter cable and see if motor turns over. Maybe remove spark plug wire first!
  • Check inside fuel tank for rust.
  • Check frame for rust.
  • Check rear shocks for movement/recoil.
  • Check all rubber for cracks:
  • - fuel line
  • - drive belt
  • - tires
  • - handlebar grips
  • - spark plug wire
  • - other??
  • Check seat upholstery, as it may be expensive to have it re-created properly.
  • Check foot rest panel. I think this is plastic, but it should be easy to find a cheap and similar replacement material.
  • Check to see if wheels spin freely. (What do they have for bearings?)
I can't wait to see this thing again.

Already thought of a couple things:

• check brake and throttle cables for cracked sheathing
  • check brake and throttle cables for free movement
  • check collapsable handlebars for free movement
  • check removeable front wheel for, um, removeability?

If the bike is complete

I am %100 CERTAIN you could drop it off to me, and DRIVE it home the same night..

Frozen pistons, break cables.. yada yada.. means nothing.. It has been sitting.. :shrug: Thats what happens..

You need to soak the jug with some penetrating oil

Free up any break cables (same way)

Clean the points

clean the carb

And drive it..

:shrug:

Trk makes it all look and sound easy. He's not kidding.
OK, guys. Thanks for the info and encouragement. I'm used to old cars. About 11 years ago I bought a 1966 Mercedes-Benz 230SL (Welcome - Mercedes Benz 230SL, 250SL, 280SL Pagoda Group) and that has been my hobby. When dealing with that, I always have to take a bunch of precautions and learn as much as I can before working on it. Mistakes can be expensive.

This sounds much less risky and more fun!

welcome to the OldMiniBikes! good luck with the go devil, definately a cool mini. and if you dont remember the little fuji engine is a 2 stroke, just remindin you if you had forgotten. as far as the seat goes, i think there are members here who could recreate the seat.:thumbsup:

Mini bikes are a bit less expensive to work on than say a Mercedes-Benz. :laugh:
Yes, but there are many people (including the manufacturer) around the country, indeed around the world, who can supply manuals, new parts, used parts, services, and detailed advice & instruction for my old Mercedes-Benz.

I was concerned that without similar support for the Go Devil I would have to figure it all out myself and use too much "shade tree" tactics to get the job done. I'm used to the structure, procedures, and documentation in the M-B world. Hummm. I've got an M-B (Mercedes-Benz) and an m-b (mini-bike)!!

I think this mini-bike will be fun. All the stuff I learn from you guys will be clearly documented on this forum for others to learn from.

Pics and description coming after 4th of July weekend.

Thanks!