Disassembly of Ceriani Hydraulic Shock

This post is about how I disassembled some Ceriani hydraulic shocks. The article on the Steens webpage by Mac is about the disassembly of the non-hydraulic Ceriani shocks which shared the same Taco H-032 part number as the hydraulic shocks, but were a different model. In his article Mac says it was an error that they weren't hydraulic, however there were actually two different types.

You can distinguish the hydraulic type Ceriani shock by the cast aluminum upper eye and the "valve keeper" type pieces which retain the spring and cover on the shock body

To disassemble the shocks I modified a car spring/strut compressor. I welded a piece of 5/8" steel rod on the single hook, which is strong but small enough to fit in the upper or lower shock eyes after the rubber and steel bushings are removed. I welded a bearing race on the two hooks with the "open" side facing down away from the hooks.

The first step in disassembly is remove the steel/rubber bushings from the eyes. I used one small and one larger socket and a vice to push out the steel bush and a screwdriver to push out the rubber. Next, remove the circlip at the top of the shock body, then lift the steel washer up and remove the O-ring under it, leaving them all loose on the shaft

Then I assembled the strut compressor as shown in the picture so when the steel rod is inserted in the lower shock eye, and the bearing race is placed on the bottom of the lower spring cover(around the keepers). So when the nut under the the single hook is tightened against the pair of washers, the bearing race compresses the spring and the keepers can be removed.

Next I reassembled the strut compressor as shown in the pictures so the race is under the top casting of the shock(with a notched plate inserted) and the steel rod is inserted in the lower eye. I turned the screw and also tightened the nut while also tapping on the sides of the shock body with a small hammer to pull the rod and internals out.

You can actually fully cosmetically restore a hydraulic shock by just removing the spring covers however one I had had a bent shaft and water had gotten inside and partially seized it so I needed to fully disassemble it to home the body and polish the piston so it it fully extended.

I tried to post all the photos which go with the text but I guess as a new member I'm not authorized. The pictures are in My Photos

We were talking about the various Italian hydraulic (oleo) shocks on a few other threads. I was able to muscle it down to loosen the keeper ring. It takes three hands. I sourced various rubber O-rings by specification, and was able to rebuild them to hold Yamaha 100 fork oil.

This was on a tote gote. You'll find those shocks and variations on most vintage Italian bikes from the 60's and early 70's like Moto Guzzi and the like. They are an expensive replacement if you cant find the rare tote gote or Taco oleo versions. All the Italian shock MFGR's copied Ceriani for a few years, until they started copying the front ends.

When I was doing those, I thought a strut compressor would have worked pretty well with some modifications. You need five posts in order to post photos, but you have more than that now. Hope to see the photos here. Thanks for the information. Good stuff to have on record.

We were talking about the various Italian hydraulic (oleo) shocks on a few other threads. I was able to muscle it down to loosen the keeper ring. It takes three hands. I sourced various rubber O-rings by specification, and was able to rebuild them to hold Yamaha 100 fork oil.

This was on a tote gote. You'll find those shocks and variations on most vintage Italian bikes from the 60's and early 70's like Moto Guzzi and the like. They are an expensive replacement if you cant find the rare tote gote or Taco oleo versions. All the Italian shock MFGR's copied Ceriani for a few years, until they started copying the front ends.
Yes, I put some Betors on a Tote Gote 770 and they were almost identical to the Ceriani, a bit thicker and no cast top but vert nice s-l500 (4).jpg

I can see these are actually Orlandi shocks from Richard Trotter's post on this thread
Yes, that was the point I was trying to make. The differences between the vintage Italian shocks are narrow.

Both the "Taco correct" Ceriani and the "Tote Gote correct" Orlandi are "rarer" and more expensive, so I was sourcing replacements, cheap, off of ebay from obsolete Italian bikes.

Here are the larger Ceriani I got off of a Ebay for the 125cc Italian bike. Forget which bike now. I rebuilt these for my Tote Gote Nova because I couldn't find any Orlandi.

Shocks2.jpg Shocks3.jpg Done5.jpg

These are spring only, non oleo shocks from another Italian bike for my Taco 99. They look pretty close to originals, but one can see they're just slightly larger around, and a tad longer. Because I used Trail Tamers on the front end, the longer shocks leveled the bike out.

Done2.JPG

Here are the larger Ceriani I got off of a Ebay for the 125cc Italian bike. Forget which bike now. I rebuilt these for my Tote Gote Nova because I couldn't find any Orlandi.

The ones on the Nova look very similar to the Orlandi. Did they not have the cast aluminum tops?

Here is an old Carlo Orlandi ad. Beside shocks it says he made petcocks and control levers

s-l1600 (37).jpg

I had a Taco 100 which had the Orlandi type shock. Also the 65 and later Steen's catalog showed the Orlandi type shock with the polished cast aluminum top. I think both the black steel top Ceriani and polished cast aluminum Orlandi type shocks were correct on Tacos, depending on the year TACO-Shocks.02.gif

The ones on the Nova look very similar to the Orlandi. Did they not have the cast aluminum tops?
Yes, they had aluminum tops, as did the spring only version on the Taco. The presence of the aluminum top shock eye didn't indicate whether or not it was an oleo shock from what I experienced. I also note the similarities between the one you used on a Taco in your first photos, and the one I got from a Benelli for the Tote Gote, especially in the valve components. When you see them side by side for size comparison, it's very easy to see the difference in physical dimensions. But as I have said several times now, you cant really tell the difference between a Ceriani and an Orlandi, or any other shock made in Europe, including the USSR satalyte nations from each other. Big time copying going on.

You might be interested in these photos I dug up on the 'net. I don't see any for sale on Ebay. Cats probably out of the bag. They make great shocks for mini bikes, and the oil shocks are excellent for the gotes and heavier bikes, but you have to be willing to find the o rings. I recall one size I ordered, I got 100 of them. I have 98 left in a box somewhere. Whomever it is who has been scarfing these up can PM me for a good deal on them. LMAO!

1961 Morini: moto_morini__corsaro_1961_1_lgw.jpg

Moto Guzzi: moto-guzzi-stornello-06.jpg

1965 Ducati: Ducati-1965-Sport-125cc-1.jpg

If you care to dig down a bit, it's interesting looking at the Taco-Steens relationship, as well as the Steens-Hodaka relationship. Both using Ceriani components, as well as Steens suspension upgrades on several early MX bikes.

Or, we can forget about all of this, and order some $11 spring deals off of Ebay. Simpler that way. But near as fun.

Yes, they had aluminum tops, as did the spring only version on the Taco.
The spring only ones Mac disassembled in his article on the Steens Taco page have black painted tops. They have a very narrow neck under the top eye, too narrow to be aluminum.

I have a set just like that, which also have the same threaded ring spring cover retainer. The top eye is steel on the ones I have

Ceriani.11.gif