Does anyone know which color was the most popular in 1971 for Rupp Roadster 2?

GustoGuy

Upon sanding my bike for painting I found that the original color was red on the frame and the swingarm so I know I have a 1971 bike. I am wondering if anybody here knows the most popular colors roughly in there order for the 1971 Rupp Roadster 2? 20190710_200155_resized.jpg

GustoGuy

Here is an update. Who ever owned the bike stripped the paint down. The color I seen was most likely rustoleum primer. The actual bike 20190710_210700_resized.jpg color was green Metallic. Actually I found the color code from Blackwidowmotorsports and I will use that and order some period correct paint from the local paint shop I work with. Green Metallic paint should really pop in the sun. 20190710_205908_001_resized.jpg

GustoGuy

Who ever painted it Yellow stripped it down except for right under the factory sticker which was painted over on the frame. It plainly shows were they sanded around the sticker. Under the sticker Metallic Green. 20190710_211830_resized.jpg 20190710_211830_resized.jpg

cfh

I think the standard 1971/1972 color was the bright red. i see purple a lot too. don't see too many green 1971/1972 roadsters though, as that color seemed to be more popular on the Enduro model. The one color i don't see much is blue (except on 1970 roadsters, i see that blue more often.)

GustoGuy

I think the standard 1971/1972 color was the bright red. i see purple a lot too. don't see too many green 1971/1972 roadsters though, as that color seemed to be more popular on the Enduro model. The one color i don't see much is blue (except on 1970 roadsters, i see that blue more often.)
What I find interesting is that a previous owner attempted to strip the paint to bare metal and either spray it with a red primer or paint it red. They didn't bother to do the inside of the Jackshaft or the inside of the loops for the gasoline tank and that is were I discovered the green paint. My bike did not have the motocross style tires that the Enduro came with and it has very cracked and dryrotted Rupp Trials tires plus my bike also had both headlamp reflectors brackets but it did not come with the square headlamp. I seen that the Roadster 2 was available in Green in 1971 so it appears that I have a green Roadster 2. The silver foil seat pan sticker was gone too with no trace of it since I stripped that area to bare metal since it was really flakey and rough looking and there was no sign of green paint in the seat pan area so who ever painted it did so a long time ago in red and then sprayed it with yellow later. I heard starting in 1973 that Rupp stamped the registration number on the side of the seat pan and there was no sign of a stamp so I definitely have a 1971. Pretty interesting mystery I unraveled while prepping the bike for painting.

Actually my son really likes the idea of a Green Metallic Bike. BlackWidowmotorsports also has the exact paint code for the green and I already own a red re-powered Doodle Bug so a green metalic paint bike would be cool. Thanks for the information on the colors. It is apparent that a previous owner years ago did not like the green and attempted to strip the bike to bare metal and paint it red to probably make it look like the majority of the bikes which were red and this is proven by their attempt to salvage the frame sticker and sanded to bare metal around it as shown in the photo. I know it is not a Scrambler (Which was offered only in Green) since I have 12 inch spoke wheels and I heard the 10 inch wheel bikes came with a shorter rear swingarm?. I also found green paint inside of the rear swingarm hole too were the bushing gets installed so my bike was most definitely originally Green Metallic. So Green Roadster 2 bikes were pretty uncommon? I like it even more now that I have a rather rare Green Metallic Rupp Roadster 2.

GustoGuy

The green was very popular on the 1971 scrambler. Can't say I have seen many 71 Roadsters.
Did the Scrambler have the same size frame and swingarm as the Roadster 2? My bike has 12 inch spoked wheels with dryrotted Rupp Trial tires and the Scrambler came with a 10 inch mag style wheel. Or do you think my bike was originally an Enduro since Green paint was popular on that bike but the Enduro had the motocross style tires? Either way I already bought the Rupp reproduction decals for the Roadster 2 so I am going to do it as a Green Roadster 2 since I have the original headlamp brackets and 12 inch spoked wheels.

GustoGuy

The catalog answers a lot of color questions.
http://www.pinrepair.com/minibikes/rupp1971cat.pdf

The swing arm is different on 10" and 12" wheel rupps. From pivot point center to end, 12" long on 12" wheel bikes. On 10" wheel bikes, the swing arm distance is 11".
Here is my swingarm 12 inches exactly from center of the swingarm swivel point to the center of the axle bolt. I have a genuine Metallic Green Rupp Roadster 2 and not a rebrand Scrambler

20190711_155337_resized.jpg

GustoGuy

The only bike with 12 inch wheels and trials tires was the Roadster 2 so I have a genuine Green Metallic colored Rupp Roadster 2. Here is a picture of my 48 year old trials tires 20190711_161054_resized.jpg

GustoGuy

Well I stopped by my local paint supplier and gave him the codes from Blackwidowmotorsports S6S Verde sanabria MET and he told me that they are not able to put that paint into an aerosol can. He said the can prepare it for spraying with a commercial spray gun. I found it online in a spray can unfortunately in England and shipping was £59.95 which is $67.74 and the paint was £51.95 so I would be out about $125.00 if I wanted to get it in a spray can from them. I can buy a large spray can of Rustoleum industrial paint in an aerosol can for about $6.95 in a similar red color so to make it the factory color it will be extremely expensive. I could buy a paint gun an air compressor from Harbor Freight but I was hoping to simply get it in an aerosol can for not too much money. I may check out the local Volkswagen dealer to see if they can get it in an aerosol can for a reasonable price.

GustoGuy

" I could buy a paint gun an air compressor from Harbor Freight but I was hoping to simply get it in an aerosol can for not too much money."

If you don't have an air compressor or paint gun and you plan to do more redos and upgrades both might be a good investment.
Well I went to Harbor Freight and bought myself a 21 gallon 2.5hp compressor and and a paint gun. I just joined the painting big leagues.