Doodle Devil T.C. with 7" Driven

2SlickNick

Hey guys,
Since finding out about Windber I want to get things ready.
I had previously modified a Doodlebug into my Doodle Devil. I added side mount fuel tank, Devil's tail sissy bar, and some tabs for leaner sidecar mount.

It was awesome with just a C.C, but needed more torque and smoother transition when pulling a sidecar with passenger. ( sidecar will be complete soon).

I was going to purchase a TAV unit for $100, but figured I would work with what I have.

I did swipe and modify my TC set up from my go kart.
I need plenty of torque and power to pull sidecar with another passenger and the 20 series with 7" driven should do the trick.
I had to ditch fender mount, but will figure that out later.
TC mount is rectangle tube 1/4" thick that measures 12" x 5" x 3" I welded a bearing tube on angled steel and then onto rectangle tube.

I did have to cut out a notch to allow chain clearance for this set up.
I will try to have finished tonight or tomorrow and then hopefully test run....

Here is a quick vid of sidecar a few days ago with C.C.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3KwWJyr7K4

Last edited:

2SlickNick

A few little bump on this road. I need either a spacer or a #35 JS sprocket that is centered not teeth on one side. Also after I disassemble I will cut some slots in the rectangle tube. I had a Hard time getting wrench in there to secure mount and motor.

Last edited:

2SlickNick

Well my speed bumps are now obstacles.....
They don't make a 3/4" ID tav type sprocket. I tried bushings but the chain rubs.

and I might have to pull the gov. It keeps kicking in not even letting me open this 7" driven ALL THE WAY.

2SlickNick

I went ahead and ordered a hydraulic rear brake system, a rear street tire (Thanks Eric ) (size 13 x 6.5 - 6),cut slots in JS mount, sorted out TC problems, and removed governor.
Then I noticed.....the sprocket will hit the ground with left hand turns :doah:

It looks like I will have to ditch the larger stock 72T sprocket for a smaller 60T sprocket. I wonder how much smaller it will be? Does anyone have a diameter on the 60T for me to compare it to?

I will start regardless tonight to see how TC works out now.

It looks like the tire is not centered in the frame? Can you space the tire to the left a little? Leaving the brake set up where it is and moving the sprocket closer to the tire? If it is closer to the tire it may not rub on those left turns....

2SlickNick

It looks like the tire is not centered in the frame? Can you space the tire to the left a little? Leaving the brake set up where it is and moving the sprocket closer to the tire? If it is closer to the tire it may not rub on those left turns....
Ha.....good eye.
It is not centered.
I think I mismatched the two spacers on the wrong side.
I will correct and report back, later.

-thanks

2SlickNick

Well, Fixed the alignment issue with wheel spacers. The wheel is now closer to the left. I think the 60T will solve the issue of left hand turns ( sprocket hitting ground) most of the 60t's are 7.5" diameter. This 72t is about 10" diameter.

The torque is CRAZY LOL! I did notice a little wobble in wheel:confused: The axle is only a few months old.

Oh well.....

2SlickNick

I went ahead and ordered the sprocket adapter and a 53T axle sprocket. It is still a wheelie machine. but gives me a better top end.

The hydraulic brakes are great!

Just waiting on a different front tire and this build is complete.
I must say it went faster with a C.C. but this T.C will pull sidecar wit adult passenger just great I am sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgoWFg2snqY&feature=youtu.be

Attachments