Doodlebug 6.5 speed problems

I have a db30 and I put a 6.5 (clone) and it gets up to 45-50 and it just stays at that speed and dosent go up at all I tried a bigger carb but same problem
Any suggestions on what to put in it :shrug:

Details details details......:shrug:. Without any details of your gearing, or pics or info about motor mods...its like guessing a fat mans weight.

So for more speed...you need about a 60tooth sprocket for the back. Obviously..the smaller the rear sprocket the more top speed you will have. But you will sacrifice on the bottom end during take off. They sell the adapters for DB on OldMiniBikes and you can change the sprocket to any size you prefer.

With (only) those performance mods and that 6:1 gearing, I'm surprised that you can get as high as 45-50 MPH? That engine is turning some HIGH RPM- you need to do some internal performance mods (flywheel, rod, etc.) before that engine comes apart.
Michael

Last edited:
With the 12t into 72t....it is 6.00 to 1 ratio overall...with 12t into 60t it is a 5.00 to 1 overall. The lower the number when you divide the driver into the driven the more top speed you will get. The higher the overall ratio...the lower top speed and more take off you will have. Class over:hammer:

I let my 100lb cousin get on it and it runs 50
Assuming that you are running stock size (diameter) DB wheels and tires, to attain 50 MPH that engine would need to turn around 7,000 RPM.:eek:hmy: If you have not done any internal mods so that engine can (SAFELY) turn at that speed, please immediately take out a 1 million dollar life insurance policy and name me as the beneficiary?:eek:ut:
Michael

vwfan79

18# springs will start to float around 6200 RPM IIRC, not to mention the governor will only allow 3600 RPM. With your gearing you would need to turn 6500 to hit 45 and at 200+ #s, good luck. I would be happy with what you got or break out the wallet and start buying some real performance parts.

I wanna get a piston but I don't know how to pick them out like it says that they are like 0.9 0.10 shorter do you guys have any info on what kind and size I should get

I'd be interested to know how you clocked your speed. I have a stock 6.5 in mine with a 13 toothe clutch 72 sprocket and I've clocked myself at 40. I'm 225.

my bike with a 60 rear and 12 front did 46 mph at 240 pounds its rejetted airfilter and adapter aluminum flywheels 4 dagree timing and a 3 stage pipe and no gov