drift trike or restore

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Well, its built all wrong to be a drift trike, Geometrics are off, fork & fork angle, frame, , So I would fix it up.

If building a Drift Trike, start with the right style frame.

Sheesh you guys have no imagination. I have another fork tube pipe piece so I can set fork angle where I want it. And the frame without the backbone pipe up top almost looks exactly like the sfd drift trike design.

I don't prefer the chopper design either. I bought the frame to basically steel the lower half off of it and build my trike.

I also should be more specific. I'm not building the cookie cutter drift trike....no PVC tires. I'm going to run turf tires and a smaller front wheel.

More of a fun yard trike with a stage 4 kit in a predator 212 powering it. Should be able to throw donuts at will and smoke the turf tires with ease on the pavement.

Every time I watch drift trike videos I envision myself getting run over by an f250 lol.

This is a crude cellphone edit but its what I envision.

Basically relocating the back bone for additional support and to retain the original seat plate just now much lower.

36" live 1" axle and 4 wheels
Front will be a 20" x 3" mountain bike wheel with a disc brake if I can find one. 2014-12-08-11-51-50.jpg

JKautoFab

outcry ive got more imagination than you can shake a stick at, but if you are going to build a drift trike the only thing i see usable is the steering neck, the rest would have to be redone IMO and wouldnt be a good place to start. IMO a go kart with a motor mount and axle would be a better starting point, then weld a bike front end on.

but its your project do what you think will work but thats better off built into a reasonable looking mini and sold or traded for a kart frame with axle

I agree a kart frame would be easier because it has more usable parts but I got the mini bike for next to nothing.
I have tubing and another steering neck for my front end. Really only got the frame for the lower part of it if that makes sense.

And I was poking fun about the imagination or lack thereof.

Had a question about bearing placement for the rear axle.
I'm going to use a 34" 1" live axle from northern tool and the azul bearing kit.
It would be very easy to weld the bearing carriers in on the rear where the wheel would normally bolt up anyways. My question is with a 34" axle will I have problems? Is that too close to the center of the axle to have the bearings?

I could always build a 24" box that ecapsulates the rear of the mini bike frame and hang the bearings 8-10" from where the wheels will be, just going to cost more that way.

Thanks

Edit: Just as an fyi I plan to reinfore the rear of the mini bike frame by inserting 3 pieces of heavy tubing in between the sides of the frame, one where the wheel guard is now and one on each side vertically between the upper and lower tubing.

My question is with a 34" axle will I have problems? Is that too close to the center of the axle to have the bearings?
What is the width of the frame? Or how much of the 1" axle is going to extend outside of the bearing and carrier? I think you'd be okay with moderate power, on-road applications. But jumping it and off road use might bend them. You want to put a lot of stress on the axle with sliding it, so saving a couple of bucks on materials might not be worth it. Might be easier to widen the frame instead of add support to spread the bearing load.

I'd have to measure everything again. I'm just gonna go ahead and weld a box into the rear of the frame for safety since its going to be an offroad trike.

I mocked it up with a much narrower axle and the rear end up much higher to simulate the use of the tires in the pic.

I'm worried using an axle that short might cause it to be tippy.

I need to figure out how I'm going to set up the rear axle before I set the rake. Wasn't aware raising the rear would affect the rake of the front end so much.

What do you guys think? 20141209_181035.jpg 20141209_181025.jpg

your triples are backwards. will keep you from steering. any trike will be "tippy" if not ridden correctly, but you should probably aim for an equilateral triangle from the top down for maximum stability. any wider will make it hard to steer.

capguncowboy

I'm worried using an axle that short might cause it to be tippy.
I'd be more concerned with the orientation of that seat. Move it back a little bit, and change the angle so you're not slipping off the back

But if you're worried about the stance and the trike becoming tippy, keep the wider axle and widen the frame to match. Just cut the plate off, bend everything outward, and put the plate back (might require a new brace, or even a new plate).

I'm aware the triples are backwards lol. That's the only way with the wheel on they would stay on the frame without slipping off.

The seat is getting changed completely....that's the seat from the chopper.

Thanks for the tips guys.
I have a go kart on the way dmfriday for the back half.