Drilling a jet question

I had a dead throttle after about half open.
Mikuni jets start at 85mm and g oto 500 in increments of 5's.
I'm certainly not going to buy 100 jets to figure out which one is best for me.

I decided to drill my own a little bit at a time.
The improvement keeps coming.

I'm just about to attack it with a 1/16th inch bit.

Anyone venture to guess what metric equivalent that might be?

As always,

Thanks!

125ccCrazy

I would buy a set of micro bits and a hand held bit holder, find a bit that just fits the jet in the set and go to the next bigger jet..it doesn't take much difference in jet size to make a big difference in performance..

I would buy a set of micro bits and a hand held bit holder, find a bit that just fits the jet in the set and go to the next bigger jet..it doesn't take much difference in jet size to make a big difference in performance..
Good idea! I've been doing it the hard way, with just a hammer and cold chisel. :D

Well I believe I found the top of the curve, and started heading down the other direction.
This morning I heated the jet and melted a little solder into the orifice. I then cleaned it up, and re-drilled a little smaller.

For now, I think this is about as good as I'm going to get.

I think my real problem is that I live @3500 ft. I operate my bike anywhere from 1900ft to 5700ft, and I'm beginning to doubt that there is a main jet than can cover them all. But oddly, it starts and idles fine on either end of the spectrum.

I might get this mixed-up but..mikuni is sized by flow not decimal equal, Khein jets are by actual hole size? Obviousley there both flowing fluid. just how there measured. like pipe vs. tube sizes?

Yes get wire drills so nice and kinda cheep widget supply has both mm and inch got a set of them not bad for light use may not last forever but cheap to replace

There was a mikuni POWER Jet? it was a conversion that would pull from the bowl when needed. Dennis-Kirk might be a place to look?
Power Jet is mostly for 2 strokes that lean out on the top end. Maybe the Dial-A-Jet?
https://thunderproducts.com/shop/dial-a-jet-karts/

Benzie County? We owned the house just below the lookout in Elberta. Still have a cousin at M22 and Cox headed out of Frankfort and a blueberry farm in Honor. I miss "home".

Sorry, but the power jet kit is for both 2/4 cycles. I personally only used it once, I normally use the micro drills. I would never charge for this type of work either. theirs usually a cause for the problem? EPA is always a starting point. but not gonna play jets with 250hp Yamaha on a customers bass boat!

The whole concept of drilling my jets was a waste of time, being as I had a hidden crack in my intake manifold.
I'll be starting all over when I rework the engine.

Kool ya found the cause, that's what I tried to say. I look at why did this motor change its performance, what did the owner Do before he brought it in/gave up? But yes, the EPA makes the manufactures really LEAN out there engines. Its always fun to do battle with a motor an come-back to see the simple problem. If I was only smart enough to keep a personal journal...